Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A bit of advice from someone please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lily_cat, Mar 24, 2011.

1. lily_cat

lily_cat PetForums Newbie

Hiya I'm a newbie so hello everyone :)

I wonder what you'ddo.. I have no idea what to do here... My cat has always been a sickly cat, she's around 12 years aprox (she was a rescue cat and was stray before I adopted her 9 years ago. She has mellowed quite a lot since then... she used to bite feet and spit when you walked past etc but as time has gone on she's gained our trust and is a lovely cat... anyway I digress.

She has never been a big eater and would rather pick tit bits so is quite a skinny cat.
    We took er to the vets 3 weeks ago as she was falling off her back legs one evening and then seemed to go back to normal and not done that since but the vet said she had a tumour about the size of an egg probably on her intestines her advice was to either have her in and open her up and see if it was operable (but more than likely wouldn't be) if not put her to sleep there and then or take her home... we chose to take her home.
    Now she's gradually got worse, she breathes very fast and her whole body goes in with the breaths she's drinking a lot and hardly eating anything but the eating thing is not much of a difference anyway
    our dilemma is do we take her to the vets and have her put to sleep before she deteriorates anymore or do we keep her going? But who's benefit is that for? hers our ours?
    She is alert and manages to claw her way up to my lap occasionally where she purrs away.
    She goes to her litter on her own but that's about it, she sits on her bed and sleeps mostly.

I hate seeing her fade away but then she does something that makes me think she's not that bad.. I dunno what to do. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and don't need my beloved cat dying right now :( It's so sad.

I guess I just wanted some advice or words of wisdom from other cat lovers iykwim.

If you've got this far... thanks for reading. x

#1 lily_cat, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

aww bless its such a hard decision cant really offer any advice just that you will no in your heart when its time to let didnt want to read and not post a comment :)

3. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi sorry your little one is not well, i think you will know when it's time for her, it's only you who can make this decision :( so sorry :(

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi Lily and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your cat. I assume the vet discovered the intestinal lump during a physical examination? Without an ultrasound it's very difficult to tell exactly what the mass in question is so please don't worry too much about that just yet. ( We had a case here recently where a 'lump' turned out to be constipation!! )I'm so glad to hear you took your cat home in the absence of any further investigation! Either way masses can be successfully removed.

Given the symptoms and her age I think there's a good chance she's hyperthyroid ( the breathing could point to elevated heart rate ) and I would take her back to the vets ( or a new one if you prefer ) and have some bloodwork done including a T4 test. The increased drinking could also point to diabetes or kidney problems but again please don't despair. However I would make an appointment as soon as possible.It's always a good idea to have annual blood tests for older cats especially to help identify any potential problems early and instigate treatment.

Good luck with the vet appointment and keep us posted!

5. lily_cat

Thank you very much for this reply.
    Yes the vet only did an external exam she did take some blood and her kidney function came back okay for a cat of her age. I don't think the vet was worried by her blood results on the whole.
    However she has deteriorated over the last 3 weeks and I'm wondering whether to let the vet cut her open and see if she can be saved... I dunno, I don't want to put her through any unnecessary trauma.
    Ahhh hard to know what to do for the best here... such a dilemma :(

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Usually the T4 test isn't an integral part of normal bloodwork and has to be requested separately. Nevertheless I would call the vet and ask.

Actually Lily I've re-read your first post about the size of the lump ( sorry missed this first time ) and in view of this it's possible the mass is putting pressure on her chest cavity-hence the breathing problems. Either way the breathing needs investigating....now!

Thing is you can't really ignore this-it will get worse. Personally I would have the exploratory operation with view to it's removal and take it from there. Cats recover remarkably well from surgery of this type. Also you can always ask for a second opinion if you want a more pro-active vet. Some are more positive given the same circumstances and this always reflects the outcome in my experience!

Good luck with it all!

7. lily_cat

Again thank you very much for the advice. I'm taking her back to the vet today... I will get a second opinion and hopefully be able to opt for the removal of the lump.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

8. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

aww lily cat Im so sorry you are having to go through this, having been in similar situations the only piece of advice I would give anyone, is to say to the vet, what would he do if he was in your situation and that was his cat. Most vets will stop at that point, put themselves in your shoes and give you and honest answer. Good luck at the vets today, hopefully you will get the answers you need to make an informed decision. I will be thinking of you.

9. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Heya,

I just wanted to pop by and say that we were in the same situation a couple of weeks ago with our 16-year old boy, Lancelot. He stopped eating and we took him to the vet to have him checked out. The blood tests all came back ok (especially kidney's for his age) but sadly the vet felt a lump in his intestine.
    We had the choice to either schedule him for an op, or have him pts there and then. It was such a big shock, and as Lancelot is otherwise very healthy and happy, I couldn't *not* try saving him with the op.
    The vet rang us again half way through the surgery to tell us that Lance has lymphoma, and two aggressive tumors that were basically cancer.
    He removed both tumors and Lance has actually coped with the surgery remarkably well. He perked up very quickly, had the stitches out last week, and you would never know what he has been through. We have decided to go with a daily dose of steroids for Lance to slow down the illness - as opposed to chemo. Prognosis is a couple of months, but obviously it is impossible to know for sure. So far so good, and he is due for blood tests on Monday. Overall, I don't regret the decision because we have had some wonderful days with Lance since the op, and it's really given us time to get used to the shock and say a proper goodbye - when the time comes.

All I can say is cats can cope much better than we expect them to, and as others have already said, you *will* know what is right for your little one. My only warning here is that surgery was very expensive. Lance isn't insured and the vet bill was £1200 - not including the meds or check-ups.

I really hope the vet can give you some positive news today, and I really feel for you with the timing of all of this. I am getting married in 2 months which is right about the time Lance could go downhill. It's difficult to deal with, but us humans are pretty good at coping too. I emphathise with how you must be feeling to be expecting a baby very soon, and having to deal with this too.
    *hug*

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

While I agree I think we have to also exercise caution when applying this! It's not a case of where one size fits all unfortunately.Yes, of course there are those vets who will give you an honest answer and when the welfare of the animal is at the forefront of their thoughts, this is perfectly acceptable.

However, unfortunately like most professions there are good and bad ones and those that frankly couldn't be bothered with anything remotely outside of routine procedures and vaccinations. We also have to remember that competency and experience levels vary widely from vet to vet with the same condition and just because one vet has advocated PTS doesn't mean another won't actively and humanely treat the same illness with good results. Since euthanasia is a very final irrevocable decision it always pays to have a second opinion. We had an instance here recently where a very young cat was misdiagnosed by one vet who recommended PTS only to find the real condition was an infection which only required antibiotics! Unfortunately, this is not the only example I've heard of where an initial very gloomy prognosis ( no vet has a crystal ball ) was flawed and the animals in question went on to live good quality lives for years!

I'm not saying this applies in Lily's case since her vet has offered treatment options. My response is intended in a more general sense.

11. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

Actually this is true....I am blessed to have found a fabulous vet and have possibly forgotten how awful some vets are...

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

So, so sorry to hear that your little one is not well.

There have been several bits of good advice given here, so no need for me to add anything further.

You are in my thoughts.....

13. lily_cat

Firstly I just want to thank you all for your words and advice on my post about Lily.
    We took Lily to the vet for a second opinion on Friday, we thankfully saw the vet that Lily was used to who seemed to have a soft spot for her so for that I was very thankful.
    Deep down I knew there was no hope for my little cat, she had deteriorated in the space of a couple of days, her breathing was shallow and she was skin and bone... Cat's have expressions on their faces just like humans and Lily's was one of tiredness. She was weary and I knew she couldn't go on.

It broke my heart to let her go and Friday was one of the worst days of my life, but I KNOW we did the right thing, she is suffering no more and I will see again at rainbow bridge.

You're all so lovely and I just wanted to let you know how your words helped me through this awful time. xx

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

14. Beardy

Beardy PetForums Member

RIP Lily. So sorry to read your post, my thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

15. marsaday

marsaday PetForums Junior

We had our cat PTS last week and he was quite healthy compared to our other two cats who a) collapsed in her own sick and b) lost the use of her legs. so they were both in a bit of discomfort.

i think it is better to let them go earlier. that said i could never put them down there and then.

sam was to be put down 2 weeks before he actually went, but we kept him going and he was quite well. however, after another week he deteriorated again and so we decided to let him go. he was ok though, certainly not out of it etc. but it was the right thing to do.

16. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

You done the right thing, rip little one xx

17. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Just noticed this. So sorry to hear about Lily. You did what was best for her!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice