Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

a bit of a smelly problem

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jenny armour, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

as alot of you know i have an enormous cat run onthe back of the house. well although i have litter trays indoors jj, harry, oliver and nellie prefer to use the earth in the pen.
    when i got oliver he started to use the grass, so i have put used litter on the earth to tempt to use that, which he does. the only trouble is its very smelly. i regularly take the poo off, and at one time i was digging in the litter, but as soon as i do that olver starts to use the grass again.
    i just wondered if anyone could suggest a way that i could maybe disinfect the earth and stop the smell. i know you cant use house disinfect because of toxins, but its getting rather stinky up there.
    someone has suggested paving the grass area, but its so uneven with olver digging holes in the lawn and its a big area.

2. jenny armour

i assume that is no ideas then?????

3. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I have no experience and no good ideas. But just to start a bit of brainstorming...

...what about getting some earthworms to get that all digested?

4. jenny armour

are we talking about run of the mill worms, if so there are some there already. i think even they are turning their noses up

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

What about getting one of those plastic sand pit things you can buy for kids? You could perhaps get one for a couple of quid at a car boot. Then you can bury it in his favourite spot. Once it gets too smelly you could dig out the offending earth and top it up with new dirt/grass?

I bet you wish you'd never encouraged him to do it now :eek: What about putting a couple of covered trays outside with dirt in them... or even better some earth with grass on it? It might work if you're lucky!

6. jenny armour

aurelia i never enticed him in the first place. before i got oliver he was an outdoor cat so i hate to think what he might have done beforehand. i know his previous owner said the neighbours werent happy with him coming in their garden i'm wondering why.
    thats a good idea with sandpit idea. sometimes you can put sand in too which will entice him, second thoughts maybe not will stick to earth. its just i am worried about hygiene, with four using it and such a relatively small space

7. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

I know it's a long shot but you could try putting some lemon peel on the ground that you don't want him to use as a litter tray.

It might make him think twice!

8. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Biological washing powder mixed with water works wonders, as does white vinegar and both are harmless.

I think longterm its going to need concreting or paving as it will only get worse as he continues using it, ours do the same! Grrr!

Hope this helps

x

9. jenny armour

thank your for your ideas. hopefully in the long run i want to enclose the whole garden but keep the run for emergencies, maybe they will be better when they have more room

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice