Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A bit distress! :( Can anyone do some dirty work for me?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Angie2011, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

:eek: Don't worry if it's bad news you bring!

As i can't look my self (in case i read things wrong, or i don't read it right n freak my self out):eek: as i feel a bit delicate at the mo with other thing's going on with mum :(

Hear goes.....Benjie (my little man) will be 13 very soon, and is really slowing down :( he has a few things going on at the mo, he is almost blind (and has fell off the back step a few times) by miss footing himself and walked into a door (some duffus not leaving it open far enough) :mad: his poor eye's are infected AGAIN he also has dry eyes! his allergies have kicked off too. When he sleeps he goes into a REALLY deep sleep, so much so that i have to stire at him to make sure he is still breathing and he wont wake up unless i really keep pushing him, when he wants to go the loo he has started dropping poop before he gets to the door OR he will drop some on his way back in sometimes (don't really care if he poops all over the house) as long as he is not stressed about it, but he does seam to be in a bit of a rush to get out sometimes. He also has a lump on his side :( (he has had a few lumps removed in the past) as he has had cancer! we where at the Vets a few weeks ago and they wonted to keep an eye on it......It has grown quite a bit since then, we have the Vets again 2moz to see how he is and how the lump is doing. He has also has a heart condition :( he has also had a bad cough on and off,he even coughs n gags in his sleep sometimes (scares the s**t out of me) the Vets said it could be an infected trachea (which he has antibiotics for in the past) OR his trachea could be collapsing! :(

I was talking to a friend WHO had a friend who's dog had a collapsing trachea quit some time ago!!! she said this poor pooch died in so much distress because of it (maybe i shouldn't of listened to the story) :(:cryin::cryin:

I just wonted to give you a bit of history on my little man BEFORE asking if anyone is willing to google it OR if anyone knows anything about it?? AND if you could post the info on to me in PLAIN ENGLISH. I have opted to see his lady Vet 2moz in case its not good news for my little baby! as i don't fancy blubbering in front of a guy :eek:

PLEASE don't worry if it is not very good news that you fined!! i just need to know the if's n but's so to speake... Thanx Angie xxxxx

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Oh Angie; I am so sorry to read this. I don't feel that I have enough knowledge and experience to advise and am hoping someone who does comes along xxx.

If it has been a while and the animal anatomy knowledgeable folk don't show I will have a whirl but my knowledge is restricted to human anatomy and physiology. My best friend is also a RVN so could give her a call if you don't get a response? xxx

3. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

I'm training in this at present, so I'd need to sort out all my books etc so feel comfortable asking, but I don't mind doing that if you like.

Other people might want to respond off the top of their heads though, this site is full of knowledgable people!

I hope it isn't - All the best x

4. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Aww, you poor love. I couldn't read and not reply :( I just wanted to say that 'googling' is not always a good thing, you can end up scaring the crap out of yourself reading about things that aren't always relevant to you or your situation.

I really think you'd be better off waiting and speaking to your Vet tomorrow and see what she has to say and take it from there :)

All the very best and keeping fingers and paws crossed here for you and little Benjie xx

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I've read your post, I just didn't want to just leave it there. I will be thinking of you tomorrow when you go to the vets.

Sending you Both a very big HUG x

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww Angie, poor Benji, poor you:(

I think you should wait till tomorrow as well. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I dont think googling will help tbh. If you try hard enough,you will probably find both what you want and dont want to hear. Luck of the draw which you find first.

Try and hang in there till tomorrow.
    (((((((((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))))))))

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

What are you like woman keeping all these worrys to yourself :( I hope Benjie is just a bit under the weather & the vet can put your mind at rest tomorrow xxx

#7 Dally Banjo, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

There is a lot to be said for this - no point scaring yourself more. However Angie, if you do want me to call my friend then my PM inbox is open as ever! xx

9. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Googling doesn't tell you as much as your own eyes and senses regarding your dog's quality of life. Even a vet is seeing a dog in isolation often just at the vet's office for a snap-shot moment, only you honestly know if your dog is enjoying his waking hours.

If Benjie is much less active than in the past, consider reducing the amount you feed so that he is not having to eat, digest and pass so much food just for the sake of it. This could improve the toilet side of his life.

If his is sleeping at an odd angle and having trouble breathing make up a pillow with folded material and gentle move his head so he might get a more restful night. If he's dreaming of running after rabbits - let him sleep.

10. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

What a really sad post :sad:
    I think you ought to wait until the vet decides if its an infected or collapsed trachea before you find out about it. There's no point in being unnecessarily distressed - your vet will give you the best info and probably explain it in less technical terms if you don't understand.

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

my old springer had a collapsing trachea - he just had a hoarse hacking cough that played up if he ate/drank too quick or did too much

Vet said if it got worse than it did and interfered too much with his breathing then it could lead to respiratory distress and it did place extra strain on his heary

that being said he lived with it for over 6 years... so don't worry about it too much as every case is different and wait until your vet can give a proper check and diagnosis

12. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you hun! i think his old age is REALLY setting in....it's so dame heart breaking, :( i know he will have to go sometime.....but just not any time soon, not with everything els going on. xxx

13. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you hun! i dont really even know what to ask! :eek: i think my friends story put the crap into me. xxx

14. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you hun! i know what you mean about goggling, as i scared the crap out my self over Mum's cancer! soooo wont be doing that again :) i think it's just i would like to be a bit for armed if you know what i mean, even if the worst case scenario does not apply to Benjie at least it wont be such a shock! if that makes sense to you. xx

15. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you hun very much appreciated x

16. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thanx hun! i think some of my positivity sank to my Ass for a bit there :eek:
    I think i need to get a grip xxxx

17. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

:eek: Thank you hun, i think it just all got to me :eek: xxx

18. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you for your advise :) i have always used my own eyes and senses regarding my dog's (past and present) quality of life! i'v never really heard of a collapsing trachea! (and the story i heard didn't help) so i think i scared my self :eek: x

19. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Thank you! i know you are right, thank you for your time x

20. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

Sometimes Google can be the work of the devil.....even if you look up causes of a migraine online you'd end up convinced there was something much more sinister going on.

Best bet is to trust your instincts and talk it all over with the vet. Until you have something to worry about then try not to let things prey on your mind. Easier said than done I know but just you try relax with your hairy boy and have a nice hot cuppa :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice