Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9yo Red Persian looking for a loving home

Discussion in 'Cat Rescue and Adoption' started by MoultonChapelCatShelter, Feb 28, 2014.

1. MoultonChapelCatShelter

MoultonChapelCatShelter PetForums Newbie

Hi!

We have had for a month,a gorgeous 9 year old Red Persian lady called Gingerbread.

[​IMG]

She was with a 99 year old lady until she came to us.The lady may now have passed away.
    Her daughter brought her to us and she has clearly been loved.

I ,have tried her here at my home.She loved my Persian boy.She tried to bully another female cat I have though,who is a Maine Coon lady.
    T
    he thing is,she has lived with the lady for 9 years,earlier in life with 3 other Persians.So it is difficult to say how things would pan out in a new home.

To play safe of course,having her as an only pet would be perfect.She hates dogs and is extremely frightened by them.She can live as an indoor cat,though having been allowed out she will sit by the door asking to go out.

Being a cat groomer ,posting on behalf of Monica,proprietor of Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter,I saw to her coat and shaved her back as it wasn't in the best of condition.

We are near Spalding in Lincolnshire and have many cats looking for homes,some quite young,at the moment.

We like at least a £25 donation. Thanks

Please call Monica on 01406 380520 if you are interested.

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Do you still have contact with the daughter? Do you know the pedigree name of this Persian or who bred her? If not, can you get it? I can help you trace the breeder. Most good breeders will have their cats back in situations like this, so that rescues have a free space for another needy soul.

3. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

What a lovely girl. Hope she finds a new home soon or can go back to the breeder. Perhaps try some breed clubs as well as they normally have people looking for ped pets.

4. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

How is she with other cats, just joined as I saw this post and am not too far away and know Spalding a little as used to go to,Ingleside Cat shelter in Quadring, not sure of its still,there now.
    She is beautiful,.

I have 5 rescue Persians , three males and two females .

Thanks .

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What's wrong with her coat? And her eyes? Poor kitty.

6. MoultonChapelCatShelter

Please read my post fully.

I had to shave her ,she doesn't like it .So,she had her mats on her back removed,yet didn't look like she would have if I'd managed to hold her very steadily.It was better than having her put under sedation in my view.

Her eyes .I cleaned them every day.In the photo it isn't the best representation of her eyes,as she looked as if she was looking to one side.
    They are in perfect condition,and only has a bit of crusty eye poo like any Persian during each day.

She is OK with male cats,just not female like I said in the post.No dogs!
    If you want to speak to Monica please call her......on 01406 380520.
    They have mentioned a shelter in Quadring in the past to me,I'm sure of it yes.

Thanks for your replies!

Steve:)

7. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

She wants a lion cut and her eyes all cleaning and sorting out ,to start her coat from scratch .
    Maybe she hasn't been able to groom her for months, but eyes need doing at least twice a day .

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Do you think her coat is all mats? It looks more like an attempt has been made to cut the mats out? If she is full of mats I do implore the OP to have her shaved by a professional right away. Mats hurt a cat something terrible.

Oh...I just reread the original post. Guess I missed the last bit. I would not call that a cat who has "obviously been well loved". She doesn't look like she's been cared for at all.

OP if you are a cat groomer, surely you know you need to do a better job than that to help her with the mats. It's good of you to help her but..looks like she needs a bit more TLC.

I hope someone can give her what she needs soon.

9. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

I would take her to my vets to have the lion cut as I had to with one of mine when I first rescued him, he could barely walk there were so many ,he hadn't been groomed for about two years !
    He is just coming up to 16 now and never had to be shaved since.
    Mine are groomed every other day, eyes cleared at least twice except poor Cody who has to,have his done about 4-5 times a day.

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Steve, you haven't answered my questions re the original breeder.

11. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

Will ring tomorrow regarding her .
    I do,have two females though .

12. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

awww bless she has just had her 99 yr old owner die :( i hope she finds a forever home soon xx

13. MoultonChapelCatShelter

Iam very busy and not here to answer questions on behalf of Monica or any of her cats.Iam merely doing this to support the shelter who have bent over backwards to support me when I was very ill by giving me a sense of purpose.

The shelter have a Facebook page,but an out of date website.
    The shelter doesnt even own a computer.

As said,when Gingerbread was shaved by me,a qualified cat groomer!!! , I skimmed the clippers over the top ,I wasn't aiming for the base as I combed these out by hand as these were tufts not matts.This did the job of removing the mats which were growing out and on the surface by then.She is now growing her coat out and is matt free.She did not need another car journey,sedation and another different environment.She was living here with me when it was done,and I made sure the coat was addressed forthwith.
    She had to go back to the Shelter,as my girl cat and her didn't get along,as said.

Her eyes are absolutely fine.They're wiped out once a day and she's as healthy as my Persian who wants for nothing!

No breeders will be having her whatsoever.If there is any paperwork associated with breeders or pedigrees when they come to the shelter,which there wasn't ,it gets binned.The cats from Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter are to be rehomed to forever loving homes,to people who have experience owning that particular breed,or someone Monica feels is suitable.This Rescue wants nothing to do with Breeding circles whatsoever.

She is a happy girl at the moment,and shall go to the vets for a full health check,as with all of the cats there.

I shalln't be answering any more questions on behalf of Monica as its taking Monica's job away from her and treading on her toes.

As said in the OP,if you are interested in Gingerbread,and other cats currently with us,please call Monica on 01406 380520

Many Thanks

Steve :thumbsup:

14. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

No breeders will be having her whatsoever.If there is any paperwork associated with breeders or pedigrees when they come to the shelter,which there wasn't ,it gets binned.The cats from Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter are to be rehomed to forever loving homes,to people who have experience owning that particular breed,or someone Monica feels is suitable.This Rescue wants nothing to do with Breeding circles whatsoever.

Im sorry but I do find your above statement a little sad.

You seem to tarnish all breeders with the same brush and we are not all the same.

What is to say the breeder doesn't know their cat that they bred ended up in rescue, they thought they homed to a good home.

For me if this was my home bred cat that ended in rescue I would want to know and would be straight there to collect it.

I strongly feel if any pedigree cats are in rescue who does have paperwork with them that the breeder is at least informed, they may even be able to help or have the cat back.

I hope Gingerbread finds a perfect loving home who will maintain the grooming required.

Cazzer likes this.
  15. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Quite frankly, I find this post very insulting, and more than a little rude. If you're not prepared to answer questions, then perhaps Monica should have been the one to initially post about the cat. You're not painting her shelter in a good light.

Do you think that breeders don't try to rehome to forever loving homes? Because i certainly do, as do most of the other breeders I'd class as friends. I feel that your post paints us in a light that is not only less than flattering, but completely inaccurate.

Lastly, why on earth do you want nothing to do with breeders? If the breeder could take back their cat, then that frees up a space in rescue for another needy soul, or does Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter not feel that's a good enough reason? I mean, an unethical breeder isn't going to want a matty, 9 year old Persian back who they're going to struggle to rehome, so if you contact them and they say no, the cat isn't at any risk. however, the breeder who loves and cares for their cats will want her back in a heartbeat. Why? Because she raised her from a tiny dot, sat up with her on nights when she was unwell, fed her if she didn't get enough from mum, and chose her home for her when the time comes... Just as I would hope Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter would do. So by giving her back to the breeder, you rescue two cats, not one; the Persian and the new one that fills her space.

So, when painted in that light, why would Moulton Chapel Cat Shelter not wish to associate with breeding circles? Is this a personal issue which is now getting in the way of you doint what is right for the cat? Sounds like it.

Cazzer likes this.
  16. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I'm intrigued about this "wants nothing to do with breeding circles " part of the post. Do the majority of rescues feel this way? How many peds actually have papers but they are tossed away? Our very own Spooks? I'd love to know his breeding circle for instance.

17. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Most rescue's try their best to trace the breeder of any pedigree cats, I am shocked by the attitude of the OP if im honest.

If we cant get pedigree papers we do ask if they had paperwork, if yes, we ask if the owner could remember any names on the pedigree then email breed clubs to spread the word, we do hope to find the breeder but sometimes we cant.

Gracie the bsh who was rehomed to treaclesmum, I had her pedigree, I contacted the breeder but sadly she couldn't take her back, but she gave permission for her to be rehomed, I showed proof of her new home and when she was spayed forwarded a photo to the breeder.

I do not agree with rescue's ignoring paperwork or for not trying to find the breeder.

18. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

I have spoken to Monica and have offered to give her a home ( the cat , not Monica !) :)
    She hasn't been vaccinated apparently , so she is gong to get her vaccinated and when she has had her first one she will be coming to me as soon as possible.
    The cat sounds a little angel really and she will be well loved and cared for here and properly groomed . If her coat is too bad still , will,take her to my vets and get her done properly and start from scratch .
    Hope she will get on with my others as they are all pretty laid back Persians.

19. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

That is wonderful news for Gingerbread :D. Look forward to hearing more about her as she settles in!

20. Gillywilly

Gillywilly Banned

Will keep you updated and will take pictures as soon as she arrives and then again after she has been here a while .
    Its a cats paradise here anyway. They have the run of the house and go wherever they want, sleep with me of they like, there are numerous cat beds and scratching posts all over the house in every room .
    They go to the vets immediately they are ill no matter what time it is .
    Winston was there at 2.30 am Boxing Day morning and back again at 10 am . Then again a few weeks ago at 9pm .
    They are well fed, loved and cared for and all groomed properly .
    Just hope there isn't too much hissing and spitting .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice