Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9yo cocker getting stiff legs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hurley’s Mum, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Hurley’s Mum

Hurley’s Mum PetForums Newbie

Hello
    I’ve recently noticed my 9 year old cocker spaniel has started struggling now and again when getting up off the sofa/bed and generally being a bit stiff in his back legs, mainly his right side.
    I was wondering if there’s such a thing as dog supplements that I could give him or any recommendations on food?
    He already on a dry food with joint care for senior dog

Any tips gratefully received xx

2. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

I would recommend a vet check first so you know exactly what you are dealing with. 9 is not old for a Cocker, and the stiffness may be caused by a number of things (back pain, hips problems, knee problems, soft tissue injury, arthritis etc). Depending on the issue, there are different things you can do to help relieve pain and increase mobility, including giving supplements, but supplements on their own are not always the best course of treatment.

rona and Hurley’s Mum like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

My boy is also 9 and while I haven't noticed stiffness, I have started him on these supplements.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOINTSURE-Supplements-Advanced-Strength-Ingredients/dp/B078XG8VVW

This was after seeing a big change in @tabelmabel 's dog. I bought the 300 for just under £30 which is about 10p per tablet. The composition is similar to the better known, but more expensive, Yu-move.

I have also put a bioflow (magnetic) collar on him. They are available as a bracelet for people and some people say they are fabulous; others say they haven't noticed a difference but for £25 it was worth a try and certainly can't do any harm.

I think he is more energised, maybe not massively but he enjoys a good run around - and he enjoys the pieces of chicken the pills get wrapped in!

Hurley’s Mum and tabelmabel like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Definitely get a vet check. My dog has creaking joints (crepitus) and some mild pain and she’s nearly 9. The vet wanted to check her out because he felt that was quite young for joint problems. As it turns out the crepitus is nothing to worry about but she does have some pain in her back.

If you get him checked out then you actually know what you’re dealing with.

Hurley’s Mum likes this.
  5. Hurley’s Mum

Hurley’s Mum PetForums Newbie

Thank you all, for your replies. Will get him checked out and go from there x

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice