Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9mo puppy has taken to barking at night- help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LucyA, Jul 3, 2021.

1. LucyA

LucyA PetForums Junior

Hi there!

I’m in a bit of a pickle with my nine month old puppy. We had a really good routine down which has been absolutely fine until now.

USUALLY around 10 when I go to bed I pop him in his crate, often with a furry hot water bottle which he loves (if it’s a warm night I’ll make it luke warm). He’s a small breed and I taught him to do his business in a cat litter box, which is attached to the crate-but not the same area as this bed, no one likes to sh*t where they sleep! He’s been doing this since day dot.

He then sleeps through until about 4-5 AM, at which time he makes very lightly yawny scratchy signs to say “hello I’m awake!”- which I personally find acceptable. I wait for him to stop making the noise momentarily then let him out, after which he comes into bed with me for a few hours.

However, the last 3 nights he has barked like no ones business.
    Barked with me crating at bed time, nipping and pulling the blanket I put over the crate through it.
    Struggled nodding off and barking intermittently through the night.
    Barked like crazy in the morning.
    I’m wearing earplugs at night, I can only imagine what my neighbours are thinking - I live in a flat!

I don’t usually react or tell him to be quiet as I find this only encourages him to bark louder -like we’re having an argument or something (yes, I’m aware I sound crazy, I probably am with this much sleep!)

I checked his crate and surrounding area - nothing has changed inside or outside the house?? I appreciate dogs have much finer hearing than myself but it’s really boggling me!

He was castrated about 2-3 weeks ago now and all went fine, we stuck to his night time routine. This barking is only recent.

I am giving him the same amount of exercise and love as usual, I just don’t know what to do- help please!

Thank you

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Something has unsettled him it might be the castration or a noise he had heard. Either way spend a few nights with him to comfort and get him settled maybe move the crate into your room. If you leave him to bark it will increase anxiety and upset your neighbours.

Lurcherlad, LucyA and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

As he's barking when you put him in his crate sounds like something upset or frightened him.

Does he go in his crate during the day or it is just for bedtime ?

4. LucyA

LucyA PetForums Junior

Hi there, just bed time usually, if he snoozed during the day it’s usually on the sofa.

5. Happy Paws2

What would happen if you left him out at night just leaving his crate open so he can go in on his own terms.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. LucyA

LucyA PetForums Junior

He would want to be under the covers with me in my bed. I don’t mind a few hour in the morning but I would prefer I had the bed to myself at night.

7. Happy Paws2

Wasn't me that said that.:)

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Try his bed on the floor next to your bed.

I had Jack’s close enough to touch him so I could soothe and settle him.

Just calmly put him back in his bed if he jumps up …. eventually he should learn he only comes up if invited.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice