Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 year old cat suddenly covering his food?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

my mums 9 year old cat has started to scratch the newspaper under his food bowl and covering his food up, its not like he thinks the other cats will get it as he has his own room that the others dont go in, why is he doing this?

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

mY CAT USE TO DO THIS AND IT IS COMMON AS FAR AS I KNOW. BIG CATS ALSO HIDE THERE PREY TO SAVE IT FOR LATER AND COVER IT SO OTHER ANIMALS DONT GET IT.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i jst found this on wikipedia

Food covering
    Cats scratch at the ground around food to cover it, for three reasons. First it makes the food less visible to others, reducing its chances of being taken. Second it keeps insects off the food, and third by excluding sun and air circulation it slows the food's drying out. With too much covering the food it will tend to mold, with not enough it will dry. Thus the covering behavior varies according to the condition of the food, with food sometimes being well covered, sometimes lightly, and sometimes left uncovered.

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

wish mine would do that, im wasting loads of wet food at moment with it being so warm.

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Mine scratches like she is covering it if I attempt to feed her biscuits or anything resembling dry food. Mine is doing it in disgust !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice