Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 week old kitten - sudden constant meowing!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hazeyhaze, Jun 30, 2009.

1. hazeyhaze

hazeyhaze PetForums Newbie

Hi all, first post, hope this is to the right section of the forum.

We have a beautiful 9 week old tabby female called Minnie who we got a week ago (so 8 weeks) fully litter trained who has been delightful. Up until yesterday that is when she suddenly started meowing constantly, but in a strange way. She would play with my wife and I then head out of the room and start meowing. Long, constant meowing. We feed her 3 times a day with a variety of wet and dry food, and spend as much play time with her as possible. The meowing continued at night and she woke us up several times at intervals in the night with no apparent reason for doing it. She seems healthy enough and plays exactly as you would imagine with a bounce in her stride and full of life.

We have read conflicting advice and are unsure as to the cause, just to be safe we are taking her to the vets tonight for a check-up and whatnot but can anybody offer any potential reasons for this? It is just so out of character with her previous behaviour, she is vocal but not to a massive extent, the difference between her from two days ago to yesterday was enormous.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I think the vet check up is very wise.
    Perhaps Minnie has just realised that her siblings and mum are no longer with her and she's crying for them especially if waking in the night. A heat pad or cuddly toy in her bed might help. Good luck and I hope she settles again quickly.

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

It sounds like she is meowing when left or not getting attention, she probably is lonely or very demanding! One of my cats is like this, he could talk for England! haha

Let us know what the vet says though :)

4. hazeyhaze

That's the thing, she gets the attention, is fully sociable, purring and displaying content, then wanders off and meows. We bring her back, she plays for a bit, then does the same thing again. There appears to be no pattern with where she goes to meow, and no correlation with how full her food bowl / water bowl is!

I am hoping the vet can shed some light on it as obviously the night time meowing is a big concern, as it keeps us awake! Fingers crossed anyway, I'll report back what the vet says but any further advice from readers would be appreciated.

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I agree with lymorelynn she is probably looking for her litter mates / mum as she is only 9 weeks.

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

You could get her a companion - that would probably help - 2 cats play with each other and give each other company. Sorry to say it but you aren't as furry as her littermates to curl up with!:D. SHe may even wantyou to put her to bed! One of mine dos this, plays and then wants putting in her bed!

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

aww how cute! lol

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It's like she wants tucking in - lol - I'll be having to read her a story next! Good job her new owner is looking forward to spoiling her!

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

she sounds adorable! :)

10. hazeyhaze

News!

She has been for her first vet visit (coped surprisingly well) and it turns out she had ear mites, quite badly which explains the scratching we first thought might be fleas (forgot to mention that earlier).

The vet cleaned her ears out, gave her her first shot and kitted us out with ear cleaner & flea application. She said she thought the meowing, although sudden, was simply an attention thing but we think it was a little of both, ears and attention, particularly as she was good as gold last night!

Here's to more sleep-filled nights :)

11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I bet thats a relief! At least she is getting the treatment now :)

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hope you get the ear mites sorted quickly and have lots of peaceful nights :) Any pictures of your little one? We love to see kitty pictures :D

13. hazeyhaze

Here's a picture!

She was good as gold last night too, had a bit of raucous playtime before bed but not once did we hear her meow.

:D

Attached Files:

14. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

oh shes a little cutie! Lovely pic :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice