Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 week kitten tummy issues

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lxmrn, Oct 19, 2019.

1. lxmrn

lxmrn PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Hoping for some guidance here!

Bought a kitten a week ago and has had diarrhea since and probably before then as it was obvious at the previous owners home.

Been to the vets 3 times this week as she has started with blood and mucous in her stool (Incontinence), is increasingly fatigued and losing weight despite now being put on high cal gastro food, vitamin B. She has now been started on antibiotics and has had flea and worming treatment.

she was drinking LOADS, has since tailed off and is still eating very well.

I’m at a loss on what to do, it’s so upsetting to watch. I feel helpless.

please help!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @lxmrn and welcome :)

I am sorry to hear of your kitten's illness. It was brave of you to take her on, knowing that she had diarrhoea at the breeder's.

Which antibiotic is she on? And has she had stool samples tested at the lab for parasites and bowel infections?

You need to feed her a bland diet to rest her bowel. Either home cooked chicken drumsticks or poached white fish (Tesco sells bags of frozen pollock which is good value).

Serve the chicken cut into small pieces, without the bone, and with plenty of the cooking juices (stock) to help her keep hydrated.

Serve the poached white fish the same - i.e. chopped small, and with plenty of the cooking juices.

I would feed her 5 or 6 small meals a day at present so as not to overload her tummy..

Do not give her anything else while she is on the bland diet - no dry food, no treats, no cat milk, no cat food.

She may not poo at all for a day or two. When she passes a formed firm stool, slowly transfer her onto a wet food diet, a little at a time. Use the gastro special vet diet food you have if she will eat it., But if the diarrhoea comes back, return to the home cooked chicken or poached fish, and then when stools are firm again transfer her a different cat food e,g, one for sensitive tummies perhaps.

Please let us know how she goes on. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice