Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 months old stroppy EBT puppies..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Littlepea444, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Littlepea444

Littlepea444 PetForums Newbie

I have a 9 month old EBT...he has started to act agressivley...jumping up..barking...doesnt bite..but he is making that action...he has an american bully little sister who is 7 months old...they play fight..but he gets to much..so we have to separate them..you only have to look at him the wrong way and he gets funny...this doesnt happen all the time...but is getting worse..dont want it to get out of hand..we wanted to know if this is a normal thing or we should seek professional advice...

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

When they need separating how do you do it?

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Littlepea444

He goes in a separate room....
    The main problem we have is towards us...

4. Littlepea444

He goes in another room...
    The main problem is how he is reacting to us...I could be sitting on the sofa...and he will just come up to me and growl...starts jumping up....but his tail is wagging...like it's a game...

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How though?

Do you pick him up or handle him to the other room or call him and treat/praise when he does?

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could it be a play growl?

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I think the question is more *how* do you split them up and get him into the separate room? What's your method for splitting them up?

x-posted with @Lurcherlad :)

8. Littlepea444

The thing is....I'm asking why he is acting this way....the anger is towards us...not his sister....we have to pick him up...take him in the room....otherwise he wont go....he is so stubborn..

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I feel like it's hard to know what's happening here without seeing it - bullies can be total thugs, and he's an adolescent male, so he could just be being a bit of an attention-seeking d1ck, but a harmless one. Alternatively, you could have a real problem on your hands, particularly if you're manhandling him (picking him up) and he's reacting to that.

I really think getting a reputable behaviourist to assess the situation is best.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He probably doesn’t want to be picked up.

Try removing his sister and yourselves to a room behind a baby gate until he calms down.

Then calmly return - rinse and repeat - when he gets OTT.

Eventually, he’ll learn OTT = no play/attention.

Make sure he isn’t getting over tired too as that’s just like having an over tired toddler.

Take a look at the Puppy Support thread too - lots of experiences and advice in there.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Littlepea444

Once he is picked up....he does nothing...the thing is I think he is being a dick...we are all girls in the house...plus he can be soft as shit...loves a cuddle and kiss...and he doesnt act like this all the time....
    But thanks for the advice..

12. Littlepea444

Thanks for your advice..

13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have two male boxers they love to play fight but sometimes it’s gets a bit much for inside.i use the word ‘enough’ and distract normally with treats. Your dog isn’t being a ‘dick’ It makes no difference your all female. If he’s growling you need to take heed of this. Having two young dogs is hard work lots of separate training can help,

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. Littlepea444

Yes.....That's what we are doing....
    Thanks for your advice...

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh I dunno, Elliot is a real dick sometimes!

16. Littlepea444

Exactly....its the terminology I use....

17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

:D Well I don’t believe that he’s such a gorgeous gentleman!

18. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

From your post it sounds like a hyper pup who’s very vocal. My stb is the same, her play growl sounds so nasty.
    if you weren’t in the room and you heard her play growling you’d think she’s mauling someone in there lol.
    The jumping up and growling could just be him trying to engage you with play.

If you’re worried you could post a video of it here and maybe someone could advise?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

EBT's can be very vocal,it sounds to me like a play growl my boy used to do this as if to say "come on lets play".When Liam did this we used to take him outside and do some training with him and also do some hide and seek games with him.it will pass as he gets older.When I could see Liam's play was starting to get too rough I would take him to another room and either do some training or even just sitting and stroking him to calm him down he would then quite often take himself off to his crate for a sleep,the crate is never locked.EBT are in my opinion very sensitive breeds and like nothing more than human company,your puppy should grow out of this as he matures:) thumbnail_image1.jpg

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and Boxer123 like this.
  20. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

You also have to take into consideration that at 7 months old his "sister" (if she hasn't already), will soon be coming into her first season, which will affect your male dog's behaviour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice