Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 month puppy no longer wants to sleep alone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gilimiran, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Gilimiran

Gilimiran PetForums Newbie

Please help. My puppy is driving me mad and I havnt had a decent nights sleep in weeks. He is a 9 month old pug and we've had him since he was 2 months. He sleeps in the kitchen with an open crate and an assortment of different beds. He's slept alone in the kitchen since day 1 and apart from initial settling in period, he's always been quite happy to and usually takes himself off to bed when he's ready. Recently he slept over with sitters when we were away a few days so it's understandable that he would be a bit unsettled when we first got back. But really my question is, what's the best way to get him settled back into his normal routine? Considering he has slept along for 7 months, I know he can do it again but if had so much conflicting advice that I'm worried if I do it wrong it we won't ever go back to normal!

The kitchen door has a baby gate so if he won't settle he scratches the gate. We tried leaving him one night and he scratched all night long. But I really want him to get used to being alone again like he always was and so many people advice to leave them and they get used to it. This is what we did from night 1 (well, night 2).

But when I spoke to a behavourist, she told me that if he cries I need to go to him every time or he will get worse. If he doesnt want to sleep in the kitchen, he should be allowed to sleep where he wants (which is where ever we are).

My husband and I are taking turns sleeping on the couch in the living room (adjoining to kitchen) on nights he won't settle. But some nights, he is back to normal and takes himself to bed. Then the next night he won't let us leave!

I'm so exhausted and so confused about what I should do.

Sorry for the super long post!

Any advice appreciated!!

2. pupaccessory

pupaccessory PetForums Newbie

Hey Gilimiran,

The best chance you have is being defiant, dogs won't upkeep behaviour if it sparks no reaction, keep returning the puppy to its sleeping area and completely ignore scratches and whines etc. If you react to this behaviour the dog will then milk it and use it to gain what it wants and in return you will only receive more whining etc. The dog will eventually realise that it's not receiving any benefit from its pleads and should return back to its normal sleeping location.

Thanks,

pupaccessory

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he’s clean in the house I’d put a bed in my room and a blanket on the sofa and let him sleep wherever he likes.

Leave the crate available too.

If the stay at the sitters has upset him he might just need some company and reassurance and will return to his old routine in time.

If he’s getting stressed then ignoring will just add to his anxiety imo.

Are there any appliance noises that could be upsetting him?

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't know where you are but here it has been cooler recently - could he be cold?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice