Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 month old puppy with one very waxy ear

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by flossydrop, Jul 20, 2009.

1. flossydrop

flossydrop PetForums Newbie

We have a 9 month old puppy and I have noticed that one of his ears has a lot of wax in it and is very slightly red.

Should I take him to the vet, I have an appointment for tomorrow or is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

He is a Jack Russel x Poodle and his ears are very floppy and furry.

On advice from a trainer I have 'fiddled' with his ears from day one but he has never liked it or got used to it so it is hard to clean it out.

Any advice for us novice dog owners is really appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Floss

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You can use some damp cotton wool (use cooled boiled water) to wipe away the excess muck. Dont go down too far into the ear canal though.

If you're going tomorrow that should be fine. Once this has been sorted, it may be an idea to stick to a routine in keeping his ears clean. You can have the hair plucked out, and there are some basic cleaners like Epiotic that will help keep the canals clear.

Prevention is better than cure. And dogs with drop ears are prone to infections, as there is no air circulation.

3. flossydrop

flossydrop PetForums Newbie

Brilliant thank you, I had planned to clean with cotton wool pads. I will invest in some product to keep his ears clean, I do try and pull the hair out (as I was told to by the groomer) but it proves a difficult task !

4. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

Thornit, will clear this up in 2 days, will never have to go to a vet again for ear problems, costs about £9.00, with p&p, google it to find a supplier, will be the best stuff you will ever buy.

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I have 2 toy poodles and Kai my boy gets this quite often, the vet gave me CleanAural to use its great stuff.:D:D

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Bailey had a very waxy ear about 4 months ago.
    Luckily we were having a check up at the time, as Bailey had just been neutered and they were checking his stitches.
    We were given some ear drops and it cleared up after a few days.
    The downside being the ear drops cost £13 lol.
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice