Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 month old dog still messing in crate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by billyhutchy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. billyhutchy

billyhutchy PetForums Junior

my dog is still weeing and pooing in crate im up early to let her out she does her stuff b4 going to bed its gettin beyond a joke now im buying a new cushion every week or 2 thru it any advice please

2. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Is the crate maybe too big for her? I'd maybe try and get up in the middle of the night to let her out for the toilet. Or get a baby moniter so you know when shes waking up? 9 months is still very young - what breed is she? Sure someone'll be along with some more advice soon :) x

3. billyhutchy

thanks, crate isnt that big to b honest thought about getting up during night but then will she depend on that as she gets older? she is a bulldog i was always told a dog wont mess in there bed !! im confused

4. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Hmmm - is she messing in the bed and then still lying in it or pushing the bed away? I've always been told a dog won't want to mess in their bed either. I would maybe try getting up and letting her out - then as she gets older she won't need to go as much? Is she fully house trained otherwise? I'm no expert i'm just going on experience lol x

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

If you have a problem with this then my suggestion would be to get a crate that is only slightly bigger than her, and only has enough room for her to lay down in. If she has room to mess in there but still lay down and sleep away from it, it is too big.

Getting up in the night, just once may also help. She wont depend on it forever. Also try not to feed her past 6pm. If you are already doing this, then make the last meal an hour earlier, if she is still messing and everything else is right (crate size) then go a little earlier still. If you feed your dog at the same times every day then you should be able to get to a point where you know roughly what time she/he needs the loo, and you should be able to work out a better routine.

HTH xx

Edit: you can pack the crate you have now away for use when she is older if you're worried about having it go to waste. Once she has settled into a better routine and discovered bed is not for pooing in, you should be able to swap back, and sell the new crate on ebay or something for not much less than you pay for it ... or even that same amount if you get a smaller used one from ebay or similar to start with.

#5 Aurelia, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. billyhutchy

ye she is messing then laying at the other side of crate, thanks il try your suggestions

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

AH, there you go then, nothing to worry about just a simple crate change. Good luck, I hope you're poo free soon :) Obviously I mean your dogs crate being poo free and not you :lol:

8. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

how long are they in it more? i would take the housetraining back to the beginning again and not change the crate size. Is it during the night, when is it and how long have they been in the crate for? at their age and that you say 'still' it sounds like dog is in crate too long without toilet breaks.

re train, take them out every few hours, during the night also. praise and treat every time goes to the loo in the right place.

9. billyhutchy

Left her crate open today 4 about an houe whilst i was out and she aint done nything, im going to try that way thanks though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice