Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 month old boxer recently got nuetered, having serious problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Daire Galvin, May 2, 2021 at 10:22 AM.

1. Daire Galvin

Daire Galvin PetForums Newbie

We recently got our boxer nuetered as he is far too hyper and we were hoping it would calm him down a little. Since we got him nuetered, he's licked his original stitches out after destroying his cone, we then brought him back to the vet and they stapled the wound closed. One of the staples has fallen out, we rung the vets and they said they couldn't staple it again. He's went through 5 cones and the 6th isn't going to last much longer. The vet gave us pills to calm him down but they barely work. We try to keep him in his crate as much as possible but he just runs around crazy once we let him out. My mum keeps him in her room and he constantly jumps up and down off the bed all night. What can we do? Is there something to calm him down? A cone that won't break? We're at our wits end

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You need to tire his brain out. Lots of brain games - use his daily food allowance for training or games, and give him enrichment activities to keep him occupied. Stuffed Kongs (freeze them to make them last longer), snuffle mats, lickimats, etc, give him something calm to do with himself. You can go for short slow sniffy walks too, pick somewhere with lots of smells but not too many distractions for him to get excited about. Neutering is unlikely to calm him down, he's a teenage boxer.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
    Understatement of the day! :D
    Great advice, and yup, he's a teenage boxer. They don't do calm. They bounce in their sleep.

Burrowzig, Boxer123 and Sarah H like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

LOL so true!
    I wonder if @Boxer123 has some ideas as Loki was a pain when he was neutered from what I remember.

Boxer123 and O2.0 like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yep Loki had an incision in his tummy due to one ball that hadn’t drop. Managed to burst his stitches and his insides literally fell out and he had to have a second operation on a Saturday night to put them back in.

I paid for my sister to come down from 365 miles away so he was never alone.

Brain games - I hid food around the garden and kept him on a flexi whilst we found them. I mean lots of tiny cut up pieces of food sprinkled everywhere.

I used the clicker for short training sessions throughout the day. He enjoys his clicker.

I got him huge bones and left him to it.

Google dog massage and put on some relaxing dog music from you tube.

I drank a lot of wine. We didn’t relax for 10 days and nights.

Loki was given diazepam to calm him down but as The Verve say The drugs don’t work’ at least not on a baby boxer.

You have my deepest sympathy it was hell. But it will pass.

Sarah H, Magyarmum and JoanneF like this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh and loki had a surgical suit not a cone because he ate his cone. Much better.

Magyarmum likes this.
  7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Ps a final message from me. This made no difference to his behaviour he is still mad as a boxer of frogs.

Sarah H, O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  8. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Loki was given diazepam to calm him down but as The Verve say The drugs don’t work’ at least not on a baby boxer.

You should of taken it yourself! :p

Burrowzig likes this.
  9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Take him for walks. Don't allow him offlead, but take him out and about.

Instead of a cone, buy him a Comfy Collar, which is a little like a lifebelt which fits around the neck. He won't be able to touch his stitches, but neither will he be able to destroy the collar.

Bathe his stitches in a salt/water solution twice a day. This soothes tightening and itching and helps healing.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Believe me I considered it :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice