Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

9 foster pups

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kiara, Apr 17, 2011.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

Morning all,

I have 9 6 weekish foster pups here.

just would like some advice from yous who have had large litters on a good routine.

Iv only had them since yesterday eve, they are all poorly with diarheah and worms.

I have been asked by the rescue to feed them boiled rice little and often and they are being wormed today.

They have all been starved and neglected, and allowed to poo everywhere!

Thanks.

2. niki

niki PetForums Senior

Sorry i can't offer any advice as I've never had a litter myself but well done on taking them in. :D

Do you know breed/mix they are?

X

3. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

They are staffie x rottie x ridgeback

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. niki

niki PetForums Senior

Aww gorgeous! By the looks of those cheeky little faces, your gonna have your hands full! Sickens me how anyone could starve/neglect them. :mad:

I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer u advice. X

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Has the rescue wormed them? If not thats what I'd do straight away. I'd also not feed rice. No nutritional value at all. Would get them onto a good puppy food.

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have raised quite a few big litters. Routine is everything. I have an area blocked off which leads out to the garden so they can come in and out but can't just wander anywhere. They soon learn the routine, its amazing. Mine were all trained to 'go' outside by 5 weeks.

Personally I'd get them on to a good quality puppy food with NO cereals in it or put them on raw lamb to start with. Scrambled eggs are good too.

7. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

Are you sure they didn't say chicken and rice? This is what is usually suggested for runny tummies? As Tanya says, just feeding rice wouldn't be a good idea at all!

I would get them on to a good puppy food straight away - but don't overdo it. Just give them smallish meals but frequently or they will gorge themselves and make their tummies worse.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Cooked chicken (not bones!) would be ok - some dogs are sensitive to raw chicken.

9. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

they are very cheeky! i no its terrible. x

they are being wormed today. we just wanted to get them clean and settled first. they were caked in poo!!
    the rice was just to settle there tummys, now had a meal of scramble eggs and will start there proper food slowly from tomo. x

thats wat i was thinking. routine at mo is food at 9am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm. with an hour after each in garden pen. x

no they just said rice. that was for last night and this morn. now on eggs. i fed them 4 scrambled eggs between the 9, but seperated them into 2 groups. x

thanks. x

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

As others have said, try to get them onto a decent puppy food. IMO just rice and just scrambled egg isn't amazingly nutritious for them...

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

9 :eek: good luck and well done for taking them all on.

12. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

They are gorgeous.. How could anyone treat them like that.
    Good on you for taking them in xx

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Well done kiara, you are going to have your hands full there :eek:

Can someone recommend a really good puppy food for this sort of situation as my neighbour just bought a spur of the moment pup that has sickness and the poops and i wanted to advise her but wasn't sure on puppy foods :confused:

She has it on scrambled aggs and chicken and rice at the moment and its at the vets tomorrow for worming but they will probably just try and sell her science plan :rolleyes:

14. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Fish4Dogs puppy is fab. Good for sensitive tums too.

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I have recommended the Barking heads to her which i think is similar quality but wasn't sure as Oscar has only ever had the adult version.

Think it needs to be relatively easy to get hold of and "cost effective" although its only a tiny dog so cost houldnt be too big a deal.

16. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Well done and good luck with the pups. I hope they are not to naughty;);)

17. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Well done they are gorgeous puppies :)

18. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

evening all, well the pups have now been split into 3 groups, I have 4 here, 2 have gone to a vet nurse and 3 to another fosterer.

I don't want to tell anyone how to do there job but im slightly concerned, The puppy's still have diarreah, today they have been wormed with drontal plus flavour tabs, 1 tablet per pup?! i have been told to suplement with Vetark Pro-C Probiotic and vetzyme conditioning tablets?! also to put 4 drops of rescue remedy into there drinking water?! they have given me Wagg puppy complete to feed them on. :rolleyes:

what do you guys think of this?

personally i would of wormed them with panacurr paste, used Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste and fed them on harringtons puppy complete with lactol!!

advice please. x

i know there not my dogs but i want to do best by them and i feel doing as iv been told will maybe make them worse.

19. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Get rid of the things highlighted with red.

I'm not sure of the dose of drontal for puppies as I've never used it, but it is a good wormer so I wouldn't worry on that front.
    I'd get to the chemist and pick up a tube of prokolin for them, vetzyme isn't very good at all, by all accounts. I think it can be compared to Doc Martins stuff- ie rubbish.

I'd treat them as though they were younger than 6 weeks (act like they are 4 weeks). I'd mash good quality puppy food up with whelpi and start them on that. Mashing it makes it easier to digest than whole kibble. Give them the prokolin paste as per instructions (can't remember off the top of my head)

20. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

I've used drontal puppy before and it was fine (the pills are 1 per 10kg of weight so i didnt use till at least 8 weeks). Natural yogurt settled my pups tums when they needed it.

Bless there little socks, at least you have a smaller group now so should be easier to share all those cuddles they have missed out on:(

Well done for taking them in...........and good luck!!!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice