Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8wks old pup traveling to Ireland Help Plz

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nat1979, Jul 29, 2009.

1. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Hi All

I have some wanting one of my pups and i have been talking to her for a while know before and after the pups were born and she has said she wants one of my pups

But she lives in ireland she has another whippet which she got as a pup and i have seen pictures of him as we talk on fb

She comes over here alot as she has family that dont live that far from me

But i wanted to know is if i let her have the puppy at 8 wks what happens next ???????

Is a 8wk old puppy aloud to travel on a boat to ireland i know dogs stay in crates were the cars are but that not very nice for a 8 wk old pup and what about his jabs etc does he need them done before he can travel

I want to find out as much info as poss before i make my mind up if i will let her have a pup if she was living over here i would say yes 100% but worryed about the travel over etc

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would actually recommend flying the puppy would probably be less stressful than being stuck in a ferry for hours. I'm sure you can transport a puppy that young I think they have to be over 8 weeks even without the shots.

3. Megs Mum

Megs Mum PetForums Junior

hi as you can probably see, i have just had the same dilemma with a bitch and her litter.

the flight only takes an hour, however the only airline i could find to take dogs is air arran, but they ask that someone travels with the dog. also they say that it cant be a snub nosed dog or under 8 weeks.

the ferry takes 3 hours but you have to travel to wales first, the dog can either stay in the car or travel in one of the kennels provided on the ferry.

as for jabs, the pup does not need to have had them but would be advisable as he may catch something in transit.
    it is advisable that any paperwork travels with the pup, but is not needed to travel between england and ireland.

flying is probably the best option and if you speak to them about sending pup on its own im sure they will help. they are very friendly at air arran.

4. Megs Mum

Megs Mum PetForums Junior

the ferry company that allows dogs to stay in the car is stenaline btw.

irish ferries make you put them in a kennel which you have to pay extra for.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I would rather go by boat than flying esp with a young pup. I certainly wouldn't put the dog in the kennels provided on the boats (they are never cleaned..I know cos I work for a ferry company, and used to work on the boat to Dublin ;)). The dogs are kept in the cars, at 8 weeks puppy isn't going to have a clue and will most likely sleep the whole way! If you ask the crew when you board and explain the situation they will happily check on the dog for you (and depending if they are extra nice allow you down during the crossing to check yourself, but officially that's not allowed.;)).

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Could you tell me what i need to ask the owner

If she says boat what do i need to do and ask her?

If she says plane what do i need to do and ask her?

7. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Nat i will be in the same situation as you one of my puppies will be going to live in Ireland when my girl has puppies

8. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I like the ferry. We do the fast crossing on the HSS from Belfast to Stranraer and the dogs don't seem to mind at all. In fact the last time we travelled when we returned to the car they were both sound asleep.

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

this may sound silly but i would be scared that someone will nick them

10. basi

basi PetForums Senior

:eek: don't put that idea in my head, now I will be worrying the next time.

11. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I'm sorry the car is locked then I'm shore it will be ok

12. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Yeah and to be honest it isn't easy to see that there are dogs in my car because of the tinted glass and it is an mpv so you can't see the crates as they are lower than the level of the window.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My dogs came over from Ireland as pups well Owen and Tegan did. Owen came over in a car on the ferry at 12 weeks and Tegan flew over again at 12 weeks. My breeder regulary brings dogs over from Belfast she travels to Stranraer and drives down as it is only a 1 hour crossing but she never brings them younger than 12 weeks as they are usually on the ferry an hour before sailing.

When Holly came over she had a terrible crossing an you could tell just by the look at her.She was nearly 5 months old. The ferry was delaid by 1 hour because of the weather and then the traffic on the motorway was horrendous.

Would the pups new owners wait until she was a little older? I wouldn't like to leave an 8 week old pup in my car and not be able to check on it. If the weather gets hot again(well you never know it might) it could get terribly hot in the hold of a ferry and full of fumes from cars loading onto it.

14. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your info

All i have asked her is if i let her have a pup will she be planning on keeping over here untill it had it jabs which will make the puppy around the 11 wks old stage
    And how is she planning on getting it to ireland
    I am waiting on a email back
    But i think i will give it a miss just have my dounts

15. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Ok, quick question coz you all seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to this. as Archielee said, one of her pups will hopefully be coming over to Ireland (To me! yay!!), but I was wondering what would be the best option if I wanted to get the ferry? Basically I'll need to get from London to Dublin. Would driving from London to Holyhead & the ferry to Dublin be the best option or would there be different way that might be better?:confused:

16. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

What are your plans for you puppy when it goes to ireland ?
    What age will the pup be when you allow it to travel?
    And will you only let it travel if your puppy has had it jabs

17. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Well, I can't answer all of your questions to Archielee, but I'm hoping that she was talking about me when she said that one of her pups are going to Ireland. I've been bugging her for ages!! lol I'm looking for a little sister for my dog Monty! Planning on spoiling the pup rotten!!

18. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Sorry for butting in btw!! I'm soo nosey! lol:blushing:

19. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Oh right your having one of her pups

I would love for this women to have one of my pups but i am so so so worry about the trip over to ireland and thats putting me off letting her have one

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Nat my breeder travels pups over here from Ireland regulary she often brings a pup over with her for some on to pick up when she comes over for shows. As I said in my previous post several of my dogs have travelled over as pups and none have suffered any ill effects. The only thing I can say though is she doesn't travel the pup over on its own she is usually over here for a show so obviously her show dogs are in the car too.

The other option for her would be to fly the pup back to Ireland. If she came over her to collect it I'm pretty sure some one told me that a young pup under I think 5 kg can be taken on the plane as access hand backage. I know some one who flew a pup to France like that they used one of those dog bag things they use for chihuas and other toy breeds. To fly just the pup thye would go in the cargo hold and have to be 12 weeks to travel alone. Tegan came over on her own and we had to wait till she was 12 weeks. It might be worth her looking into flying the pup back as it would be a shorter journey for the dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice