Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8week old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Floki, May 20, 2020.

1. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

Hiya
    We bought an 8week old kitten 2days ago, and since then he won't eat much, and I'm just a tad concerned.
    The breeder said that this is normal, and to just be patient and not to worry.
    His breeder gave him normal milk to drink, which I found odd,and had gotten kitten formula for him.we also bought the food the breeder said he was eating.
    I'm just worried that we are doing him more harm than good.
    Please help a a 1st time kitten muma.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Floki
    Hi,
    Poor fellow. Yes, normal milk you are right should not be given. If he is not eating solid food, I would be suspicious that he is under eight weeks.
    The person who sold him to you sounds like a back yard breeder unfortunately.
    Hopefully, @QOTN or @chillminx or another user may have advice for such a young kitten.

3. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

Thank you for this
    He is on solids seemingly, don't get me wrong, he has eaten, drank milk(kitten milk) and water, but just not much? I'm not sure how much portion wise he should intake per meal. Xx

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Kittens usually eat a lot and should be allowed to eat as much as they want. It is best not to give too many choices but introduce new foods slowly.
    Wet food is better for cats than dry.
    I would leave food out for him and let him go back and forth as he wants.
    Also as he is so young and the breeder does not seem the best, I would bring him in to the vet for a check up. The vet can estimate his age and get him on a schedule for vaccines and worming.

5. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

6. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

Thank you
    I called the vet yesterday, to ask him to be checked over, and they said that routine stuff is off the table just now.
    I think I will try another vet today, as I'd rather have him checked over x

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

That's a good idea. Tell the vet you are worried about if he is eating enough and his overall health. Stress that he is very young.

8. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

9. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

Thabks.
    I've got him booked in for 3.30 today, he's such a wee toot, and don't want anything happening to him x

Summercat likes this.
  10. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

I'm not a professional by any means but we got our kitten at 8 weeks just over 2 weeks ago. He also didn't eat much for the first 2-3 days (though he did eat some) and I think it was just him settling in as since then he has been totally fine, clearing or nearly clearing his meals. We did weigh him every other day for the first week to make sure he was putting on weight, and then twice weekly since. He has been seen by the vet to get his 9 week vaccines too and they gave him a full health check at the same time, and he is totally fine. We feed him 4x a day at the recommended max for 2-3month old kittens and give him a bit extra whenever he finishes a meal (which isn't every time).

I've read they should weigh about 100g per week of their life so your kitten should be ideally at least 800-900g by now to give you a rough idea.

As an aside a lot of people here would say 8 weeks is too young for a kitten to be away from his mum (which after reading lots of posts her I think is probably true) but if you already have him it's too late for that so you just need to do your best now for the kitten. Let us know how he gets on at the vets.

11. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

How did the vets go?

It's normal for kittens taken away from mum too young to not eat much in their first few days at home. Keep offering, little and often, and put the food in a place the kitten doesn't feel frightened or exposed.

I would say 800-900g at this age is quite small, at 8 weeks they should be well over a kilo.

Jen8971 likes this.
  12. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

He was given worming medication, and flea treatment, and stuff in his ears. The vet said to get a selection of single meals, and keep trying til we find one he likes.
    The "breeder" was feeding him kitten whiskas, which the vet said to stop.
    So, got a few tins of applaws stuff, 1st tin I put out, he's straight too!
    He's 825, so under for a kitten of his age by what I'm reading here. If he's no better by Friday, I've to take him back to the vets. She said he is healthy, just a few kinks to sort out flea/worm/ear wise. X

Summercat likes this.
  13. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

Oh I didn't know that about the weight, thank you! Our wee guy was about 830g as well when we got him, though at 10 weeks he's now a little under 1.1kg so gaining well I think.

14. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

Good to hear the vet was helpful! Did they think he was 8 weeks old or younger? Just watch, when I was researching brands of wet to change Ash onto I think I remember Applaws wet isn't a complete food (so doesn't have everything in it a kitten needs if they ate solely that), I would just double check the tin to make sure.

Summercat likes this.
  15. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

Ok, cool, I'll have a look, thank you x

16. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Yes, as @Jen8971 said, the Applaws tins are not complete foods. Applaws does make pate that is complete.
    Try if you can find Animonda baby pate.
    For young kittens you don't want to give too many different foods but find one he does well on and slowly introduce others.
    For my adult cats I give several brands and textures but for kittens I stick to one brand at first.
    I agree that Whiskas is not a good food.

Jen8971 likes this.
  17. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

When I got my kitten at 9 weeks old, she weighed 1.2kg which the vet said was a good weight for her age, she ate from the moment we got her home, always has.

18. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

That's fantastic,Thanks for the advice?

19. Floki

Floki PetForums Newbie

A wee update! He's not stopped eating or playing since got home from the vets! So relieved! Thank you all for listening to me xx

Summercat and Jen8971 like this.
  20. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

So pleased about that, it was the "settling in" period, it must be a huge shock for them when they are first taken away from the mums & brothers & sisters, My kitten didn't bother at all, straight in the house, she had a good scratch, a good look round then started meowing , she then wanted food, she is very vocal even now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice