Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 weeks old pup - something stuck in throat.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Conalex, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Conalex

Conalex PetForums Junior

Nothing major, not yet anyways.

Maybe just a fur ball or a bit of something he's sucked up off the floor, but he's been trying to cough something up on and off all day. He's drank plenty water and eaten 4 times today but that hasn't cleared it.

Is there anything I can do for him? Obviously his mouth is very small so it's not as if I can check his throat my self with anything. What annoys me is that we took him to the vets today for a check up and both me and the missus totally forgot to mention it :rolleyes5:

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Are you sure it is not kennel cough?

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I would get in touch with the vet, it could be serious & he's very young

4. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Agreed. He needs to be checked out - it could be a symptom of a respiratory infection or kennel cough rather then something he has eaten, as I'd expect him to either be trying to throw this up or be off his food if he had something stuck in his throat.

If it is something in his throat, and it's been there over a day, he'll be needing help to get it out before it causes any serious damage.

I hope he is okay! At 8 weeks old, he's still very young. Such an adorable stage :001_wub:

5. Conalex

Conalex PetForums Junior

He does try and cough/throw it up which makes me think it's something that's stuck. My girlfriend said he did cough something up earlier which resembled a stale crisp crumb (we do vacuum I swear!:eek:)

I will see how he is tomorrow and make the call then. He has an upset tummy as well hence the trip to the vet today, so if we take him again it will be an expensive couple of days :(

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Think he needs to see a vet asap hes so young, do you have rest of litter/mum if so are they all ok?

7. Conalex

Conalex PetForums Junior

No we picked the pup up on Friday, he only developed this today.

He's by no means in any discomfort and is breathing perfectly ok, just every 30 mins or so trys to cough something up. Tonight is only the 4th night he has spent with us and although he cried a little the first couple nights last night was his worst. I was just a little worried if he gets really upset tonight again it could irritate it somehow.

#7 Conalex, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  8. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Is it a dry 'barking cough' or an almost silent cough??

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would ring the vet tomorrow morning and explain the symptoms; if they suspect kennel cough then you may be asked to come at the end of clinic or maybe be seen in the car park as it is contagious.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As they had the dog at the vet already but forgot to mention it, they will have already infected the vet's premises (and possibly any dogs there at the time or since) if it is kennel cough. Not that they should add to it!

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I did think of that....but then thought, like you, that there was no need to add to the problem if that's what it is.

12. Conalex

Conalex PetForums Junior

Just a little update...

After checking symptoms on youtube for Kennel Cough I was a little worried as it wasn't all that dissimilar to what Trev was displaying. I rang the vets today and explained the situation and that I suspeted either kennel cough or something stuck in his throat.

It was only the receptionist/assistant nurse I spoke to but she said if it was KC then sometimes it can clear up on it's own?? She said maybe wait a couple days but if it persisted or got worse then to bring him in. Obviously he's not in contact with other dogs as he's not vaccinated yet. As for infecting other dogs at the vets I must admit I never thought about that until I came on here tonight and read the posts.

Anyway, I have booked him in the vets for last appointment tomorrow evening to be on the safe side. Dare I say it but since getting home from work around half four I think he's coughed only once which must be a good sign. He is actually on Noroclav for an upset tummy so maybe that helps Kennel Cough?? I don't know but fingers crossed this was a false alarm.

#12 Conalex, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice