Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 weeks old - ear mites?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kiona, May 14, 2010.

1. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

Can a kitten this young get ear mites? Not scratching or anything but ears are FILTHY (yuk)

Will check other moglet when she wakes up. Not even sure what to be looking for as never had the problem before and scared to google images :scared:

2. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

yes, please go and see vet!!

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hobbs had ear mites once - it is like thick dark brown/black gunk. Yuk. Not sure whether kittens as young as that could get it but I wouldn't see why not.

Had to get stuff from the vets to clear it.

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Ear mites pass from one cat to another and as you have another cat then yes

5. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

We are at vets on Tuesday anyway, he has started scratching tonight and just left a deposit of brown crud on my lovely pale yellow cushion <boak!>

Other moglet's ears are nice and clean (for now!)

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

they most certainly can get ear mites at 8wo, or it could easily be a fungal or bacterial infection... definatly a trip to the vets. If its ear mites you will need to talk to them about possible treatment for them all x

7. Tje

Tje Banned

I agree, ear mites is definitely a possibility, if the kitten’s mum had ear mites, the whole litter will (most likely) get them too. And chances are fairly high you might have to treat your other cat too.

It might save you money of you take your other cat together with the kitten to the vet… often then they (with a bit of luck) just might charge one single consultation fee.

Even though you can’t see the ear mites in the other cat, there’s a high chance she’s already caught them from the kitten, just that they’re not yet visible to the naked eye… only once they’ve been there a while and they make all that blackish coffee gunk in their ears do we know they have the mites.

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

If the kitten has them you Still need to treat the other kitten mits spread within seconds, Ive seen it *YUK*

You will probably be givene a special ear cleaner and some advocate, keep using it as the eggs can come back, it really works though :)

9. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

Yes tis the dreaded ear mites.

They've got Canaural drops 2x a day and when I take them back in 3 weeks for 2nd jab they are getting Advocate, they were just a 100g under the weight for it this time.

Wishing I hadn't worn a white summer jacket now though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice