Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 week old pup, very sick.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by cfcboy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

Hi, im new to this forum, just after some advice really

This Sunday we picked up a gorgeous 8 week old golden cocker called Alfie. When we got him him home he was playful, loving and nothing at all seemed out of place. The yesterday he seemed a bit lethargic then started to have dioherrea then vomitting. We took him to the vets that day where they gave him two jabs and andf some hydration medication.

Over night he couldnt hold any liquid down so we took him to the vets this morning as an emergency. They have put him on a drip and they think it maybe somekind of gastric infection. My wife and child are beside themselves and can but only think the worse.
    Im trying to reassure them that little Alfie is in the best hands but its obviously hard to say anything when im not entirly sure whats happening.

This is our first pup and for him to be hooked up to some drip after only 2 days is truly heartbreaking. Was just wondering if anyone had a similar ordeal and maybe im just thinking the worse? I guess what im after more than anything is some reasurrances

Thanks guys

2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Hi, sorry to hear that your pup is not well, but you are right he is in the best place and the vets can take care of him, hope he is well again soon.

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have had my 2 cocker puppies for a few weeks and they had the runs constantly.

Mine wernt vomiting but i was beside myself with worry just with the runs so i can imagine what you are going through.

You need to speak to the vet and ask them what they think is the problem and what they are doing. They are in the best position as they are dealing with your pup.

Just wondering where did you get him from??

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear this and will keep everything crossed that little Alfie is okay, you must be beside yourselves with worry. :sad:
    Have you phoned his breeder to see if the other pups are okay?

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you contacted the breeder at all to let them know?

Without knowing what it is, its hard for any of us to predict a possible outcome.

Do you know what tests the vet has done or is doing?

When i got Oscar he was in the vets after just 24 hours, and they didnt think he would make it. He was there for 3 days and made a full recovery, but he was a bit older than yours. Puppies are fighters. They can even pull through after getting parvo so dont give up hope.

You've been quick in getting him treated, and that can make all the difference.

6. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

We have contacted the breeder yes. They seemed very worried, not suprising as there were a litter of 6.

Forgot to mention that when we took him in his stool had some blood in it, this was the first time we had seen it. Just waiting for the vets to call with an update, just so sick with worry.

7. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

To add to the above the vets have given us an update, he is 10% dehydrated which is a lot better than the 15-20% level that can be fatal.
    Still on the drip but hasnt reacted to anything as yet, its a matter of getting blood results back and how much of a fighter he is :(

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you've only taken him in this morning, then he may not be showing a huge amount of improvement yet.

Ive seen animals that are in a collapsed state and a right mess pull through and recover fully.

Once the blood tests are back, you will have a better idea of whats wrong, and the vet will have a better idea of how to treat him.

9. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

Thanks Nonnie your words are reasurring :)
    Going on his symptons and doing a bit of web research its looking like he has parvo but thats not confirmed by the vet as yet. Any idea how long this can last and how long before they start to recover?

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive no personal experience of parvo. Theres a member called Gesic who is very experienced, hopefully she might come on and offer some advice.

Parvo symptons can also cover a miriad of other problems. It could just be down to the stress of leaving mum and being taken to a new home. Some pups are more sensitive than others.

Its good to prepare yourself for something like parvo though, as it can be a long haul to get them well again.

11. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Awww poor fella. My mum's Lurcher cross had parvo when she was 8 weeks old. She was being sick and very dehydrated but she's made a full recovery, we nearly lost her though. xx

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My brothers pup had the same symptoms as yours has a few months ago, she had gastroenteritis, she was put on a drip and they was in a panic like you and the vet assured him if it was an older dog there would be no need for it, it wasnt that the condition was a bad case but treatment was more invasive because she was so young and they dehydrate very quickly. It seemed an age till she started showing signs of recovering it was 2 days and after that she came on in leaps and bounds, back to normal in no time.

I need to add to this, do be carefull who and what your pup comes in contact with after just be a little over cautious as her immune system will be a little low.

I know pup is young and looks very vulnerable but it is suprising/amazing how strong they are and with the right care from the vet and yourselves ime sure she will be back to the mischievous pup giving you the run around.:eek:hmy:

Thinking of you and please keep us updated.

13. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

Well as harsh it sounds i hope he has gastroenteritis rather than the pavrovirus. We have spoken the breeder, well i say breeder (i have my doubts now)and they are giving us our money back which will go on the vet bills. I want to keep him in there as long as it takes to be honest.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A bad breeder wouldnt entertain the idea of a refund. They dont sounds too bad if they are willing to give you back your money.

I agree, gastroenteritis would probably be preferable.

15. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

I think we put the frighners on them by saying we would report them to the authourities if they didnt give us a refund so we are going over thier to collect. It does make me worry about the rest of the litter though.

16. haeveymolly

Thats good that the breeder is doing that, i do hope he recovers quickly and i agree as long as he is with the vet any changes can be seen and acted on quickly.

17. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

it may have been no fault of the breeders though, all the rest could be find ,cud have been change of environment something she was illergic to or could just be unlucky and gotten sick

18. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

I hope thats the case :) would hate to see any more of those little pups in such agony :(
    God, why do dogs pull at your heartstings!! Getting an update at 5-7 so will let you know

Thanks for the kind and helpful words guys

19. haeveymolly

They certainly do that we had a sick dog and i have never known anything like it all my waking hours was consumed with monty he was given 4 days to live and we had him for 11 months after that,. . . . . . miracles happen.

Just to say as well dont be too dispondent with the breeder, you could just be the unlucky ones, montys condition was genetic we went as far back as we could and no other dog in the line had had this condition the breeder managed to contact 4 out of his 6 litter mates and they were all fine. Fingers ans paws crossed here and wait for an update.

20. cfcboy

cfcboy PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, just an update on little Alife. He managed to stand up last night, still on the drip and fluids but he slowly regaining a bit of strength. Was only sick one last night so they will try him on a small bit of water.food if he is up to it later. He not out of the woods yet but some encouraging signs.
    Vet said he probably has acute parvo, both his red and white blood cells are low.

Ive posted two pics so you can give him a little prayer for him. One when he was well and one when he was getting poorly.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice