Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 week old kitten not drinking water

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Star1290, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Star1290

Star1290 PetForums Newbie

Hi, my 8 week old kitten will not drink any water. She eats her wet food no problem so maybe she's getting enough hydration from that. I have used glass and ceramic bowl and I have obly used bottled water instead of tap. I also have a fountain but she doesn't seem quite ready for that. All she will do is go up to the bowl and hit the water with her paw then shake her paw. There's one bowl away from her food and another bowl upstairs. Any suggestions would be great or if the wet food alone will be fine.

2. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

I wouldn't worry too much, none of my cats are big drinkers but they're all on a wet food only diet and get their hydration from that. If necessary I sometimes add water to their wet food if it's a particularly hot day or if they're ill and need a bit more hydration.

My latest kitten has been with us just over a week and she's barely glanced at her water bowls but is fine with the wet food. I'm not sure if it would be different if there was any dry food in the diet but I generally don't ever feed dry food at all so not something I've ever looked into.

chillminx and Jen8971 like this.
  3. Star1290

Star1290 PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for the reply and I feed her a mixture of wet and dry food and she eats it all fine. She just takes an interest in the water then just hits it and shakes lol she seems fine, very energetic and playful so the wet food must just be enough for her but I will putt water into her wet food for more when its hot weather. Thanks

4. Marie2000

Marie2000 PetForums Newbie

Have you tried kitten milk? I have the same problem with my kittens at the moment and that's the only thing that they drink. If they do, you can gradually dilute the milk to gradually wean them onto the water.

Hope that helps :)

5. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

Ash isn't a great drinker either and I agree with what's been said already - how much dry are you giving? I would worry more about dehydration if it was mainly dry and only a little wet rather than the other way round.

Ash is 16 wks old now and he still plays with the water. Bats the surface, shakes his paws and makes a mess instead of drinking it!

6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

The best thing you can do to make sure your kitten gets enough fluids is to stop feeding dry. There is no need for it and it’s actually detrimental. A couple of pieces now and then as a treat won’t hurt- as long as it is grain free and sugar free and has a high meat content. But as a regular food it’s not a good idea.

teddylion likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice