Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 week old Chihuahua puppy shaking and Whining please help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Baks, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Baks

Baks PetForums Newbie

Hi guys im new on here am wondering if anybody can help or advise me Yesterday I picked up my 1st ever puppy at a 8 week-old Chihuahua( i am suspecting she might be a lot in younger) the puppy was nice and quiet it likes a cuddle during my viewing all seem fine she see very relaxed even the drive home was uneventful when we got home about an hour into the evening things became a bit more difficult she suddenly started to whine a lot and lost interest and did not accept any treats or play any more I got her trained up a little bit in her crate and she goes in there but doesn't want to come out she seems kinda scared but nothing has scared her as in any noises or jumps shes sleeping for short times and iv been up to take her toilet break then back to bed the problem that I'm having is she's constantly shaking and Whining when she's awake and doesn't want to do anything besides Lay on my lap and sleeps I do appreciate she's a puppy and she will be sleeping very often and this is a very stressful time as she's just left her littermates her mum dad am I doing anything wrong any help advice Would-be appreciated thank you guys

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It isn't unusual for a young pup to become overwhelmed and anxious in their new home, but not normally to such a degree.

If she's no better today, I would ask your Vet to see her.

3. Baks

Baks PetForums Newbie

Hey Rafa, thanks for the reply you know after I put that question up she's now absolutely fine been playing all day with me now and then she will whine might have been maybe it was in the evening she got back.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm glad she's feeling better.

It is possible that, after the excitement of arriving in her new home had subsided and she became tired, she may suddenly have realised her Mum and siblings were missing and become overwhelmed.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. Baks

Baks PetForums Newbie

Yeh I think so too. Am so happier now shes playing but her food intake is still a little slow.

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That's normal. Try not to worry and don't offer treats as that will encourage picky eating.

It takes a lot of confidence to eat by oneself. So it's normal for a new puppy in a new home to be reluctant to eat.

Just preserve and keep offering at mealtimes

Sacremist likes this.
  7. Baks

Baks PetForums Newbie

Hi lullabydream, thanks for replying I don't wanna offer her to much treats and I think your right interms with her food what iv been doing is putting some in her crate some in her carrier shes exploring the room and just having nibbles but I plan to stop later on

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I don't really bother with treats at this stage, just kibble.
    You can feed her however you like, scatter feed her in the crate if it perks her interest. There isn't really a rule to say dogs have to be fed out of a bowl!

9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

just a thought, are you feeding her little and often?
    their tummys are minute at this age and they can easily have drop in sugar levels, simply because theyve expanded to much energy between meals. This will make them shake and feel a little poorly
    lets face it, puppies arent exactly known for their common sense are they
    Im not suggesting feeding her sugary treats or anything like that,
    but,
    maybe, divide her meals into 4, or even 5, at this age, equaly spread across the day,
    Also, the portion size atm might be too big, in one go, hence her slow eating
    and then,
    perhaps,
    a little treat, like a small gravy bone, before bedtime, just to get her through the night

10. Baks

Baks PetForums Newbie

Hi there
    Hi there to be honest am feeding her 4 times a day but shes not finishing her meals shes only having maybe 3/4 bits of Biscuits but her water intake is better

11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

are you feeding her what she had at her breeder?
    did her breeder give you some inight into her as a baby pup ie outgoing, quiet, bouncy, bully, timid, first to feed bowl or even teat etc
    has she actually got teeth to break the biscuits? maybe softening with a little boiled cooled water could hel her eat more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice