Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month Springer - wee when fussed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tucker222, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tucker222

tucker222 PetForums Newbie

Can anyone please give any advice to this problem we have.
    Our male springer is 8 months old and very well house and kennel trained.
    He is a great dog and we don't experience any problems with him, other than this, every time he is fussed he tends to do a small widdle on the floor. Will he grow out of this, should we tke him to the vet?
    :confused:

2. claire

claire Guest

ive had the same problem with my puppy who is now 8 months old, i asked for advice on this forum it was very helpful. i found the best way to stop cassie was to ignore her when visitors came round or when she is excited and only fuss her after about 15 mins to give her time to calm down she still does it sometime but is getting better the older she gets

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Both of mine have done this as pups out of sheer excitment.Yes they do grow out of it.When we had visitors arrive we put the dogs in the garden for 5 mins to empty themselves and told visitors to ignore them.It worked very well :)

4. AnimalLoversWeb

AnimalLoversWeb PetForums Junior

We had exactly the sam problem with our Border Collie until she was about 2 yrs.
    It happens a lot with very excitable breeds like these and springers, it is nothing to worry about as long as the dog is not incontinent at other times. It happens just through sheer excitement. Usually when meeting visitors/strangers and we just tried to make sure this was in the garden or put an old towel down and have a mop handy when inside.

5. tangiersgemspaniels

tangiersgemspaniels PetForums Newbie

i had the same from my springer bitch it started about 8 months to, but when she had her first litter of pups she hasnt done it since. ingnorance is the best option until they calm down but they will grow out of it
    SPRINGER AND COCKER SPANIELS |

6. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

We initially had the same problem with our lab pup and I agree with the other posters - try to ignore them until they have calmed down - difficult when it's an adorable puppy wagging themselves sideways with their favourite toy in their mouth:rolleyes:

7. tucker222

tucker222 PetForums Newbie

Hi all
    Thanks so much for your replies. I'm glad to hear that you are all giving the same advice and that I am not the only sufferer of such behaviour. Will try to ignore him.... bless!!
    Thanks again

8. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

I'm having a similar problem with my Boxer puppy (she's just over 5 months). When she gets excited she jumps on my couch and wee's on the cushions. Is she gets the chance
    she also wee's on my bed. We have no problems with her weeing anywhere else. It's driving me mad!

9. starman

starman PetForums Newbie

Hi – not sure about the cause, but I found these from Washable dog nappy, dog nappies for dog incontinence & incontinent dogs. life has been so much better, and guess they would help manage the issue, until you get to the root cause.

Jackie was so helpful and these have been a real lifesaver (literally) for anyone with dog incontinence.

They are the best thing I have ever bought, as my dog is so old and I though the dog incontinence was going to be the end. I thought she was going to have to put down - WELL WORTH THE BUY - THE SERVICE WAS SUPERB (SPEAK TO JACKIE IF YOU CAN).

I used to think that having an incontinent dog was just about as bad as it gets, but no more. For dog incontinence – totally recommended.

Barry.

10. lovespringerspaniels.com

lovespringerspaniels.com PetForums Junior

Hi There
    My 4 year old Springer can sometimes be like that, he is just showing he is submissive. the best thing is to give him fuss on his terms as he is a little nervy, don't make a fuss as you come in the house, let him settle and come to you as they can get overwhelmed with all the excitement.

Good Luck

Love Springer Spaniels - Tips and ideas on owning a Springer

11. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

he'll probably grow out of it, but how much fussing are you giving him ... is it just a stroke under the chin or is it hands in the air whos a good boy praise?

Id go with the first just short well done praises then increase it over a month or so, also when they are ready to sleep or more relaxed give a little fussing then :)

12. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

My best friends springer does this all the time. As soon as you come through the door you can't go up to her because she wee's.
    My friend goes straight to the back door and lets her out.
    It gives her time to wee outside and she has calmed down by the time she comes back in :D

Chloe x

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its down to age he will grow out of it our first springer used to do it when we arrived home we had to let him come out to us so we could fuss him else he used to sprinkle all over the kitchen floor.

Our second springer never did it.

Our third springer now 11 months still does it, we have to be carefull how full on we fuss her, she is a bit nervous as well and she will wee if something un-nerves her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice