Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 Month Old outdoor training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HuntressLoneWolf, May 2, 2017.

1. HuntressLoneWolf

HuntressLoneWolf PetForums Newbie

We have an 8 month old West Highland Terrier. Had her since she was a pup. At the start of owning her we had unexpected circumtances and her main owner passed away. She lost out on alot of esential early training and learning. We have her to the point she listens to us in the house but will still have her moments. We are almost there with the toilet training as she started letting us know when she needs to go out but we have to be with her or she wont do anything.

But she missed out on alot of walking which was our own fault. When we take her out its like we dont exist at all. Ive sat with her in an open field with noone around and offered her treats but i got ignored completly. I was going to try to get her to look at me and pay attention to me then reward her, but she wont even take the treat or look at me shes too busy looking around. If we pass people she goes all cutesy and pup like wanting attention but if we pass a dog she turns into a snarling barking beast, its so embarasing.
    Ide like to walk her and not feel embarased but at this rate it wont happen. I was hoping someone here may be able to help.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe go to a dog training class?

3. HuntressLoneWolf

We want to but at the moment financially wise we cant. We have looked around at that option but we cant right now unfortunatly.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Look at positively.com and Kikopup for some training tips.

Keep her on a harness and long line so she can't go off and ignore you or get in the faces of other dogs.

If you can keep far enough away from other dogs for her to relax and not react give a treat/praise and you can slowly decrease that distance.

5. HuntressLoneWolf

Thing is she wont relax, shes constantly on alert. Even in an empty field with nothing but grass and trees she wont take a treat off me or aknowlege me.
    I Could do the training if she would actually aknowlege me or take a treat but she just wont, even when theres nothing there.
    If i pet or speak to her i get 0 reaction she just carries on looking around ears and tail up or barking at trees russling and pulling to go somewhere more interesting than me.
    I Will take a look at the websites though.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Kikopup has some YouTube training tips which are excellent for getting the dog "switched on" to the owner.

Good luck.

7. HuntressLoneWolf

Ok thankyou, i will watch some of those later on.

8. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Remember she's a teenager as well. My puppy is 9 months old and he's been walked and trained outdoors with me since he was 12 weeks and some days he still acts exactly the same as you're describing. He's also a terrier like your girl so naturally very alert to the surroundings and less handler focused than other breeds.

What helps with my boy is doing focus exercises indoors. Teaching "watch me" or waiting till he looks at me for anything he wants. Then gradually take it outside in the garden etc. A clicker is useful just to sit outside with them and click for any movement or acknowledgement towards you and then offer a treat. Shorts sessions... if she's not taking a treat (as mine often doesn't) try a toy instead. Eventually she'll start to check in more on walks. For example this morning my boy was checking in with me and asking to sniff by looking at me which was a big break through. He's not perfect every day (training class last night for example was horrendous) but he's a teenager so patience is required haha

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. HuntressLoneWolf

Thankyou. I know shes still a teenager so i expect a few things. I was thinking of getting a clicker but she seemed to have responded well with other commands without it. Been trying to do "watch me" but haven't had much luck. Might invest in a clicker see if it helps.
    Im glad you have progress with your boy. Its such a great thing when you get something you want. Like i was so excited the first time she told me she needed to go out for toilet. She will tell me every time but sometimes i miss the que as she doesnt make it so obvious and she goes inside.
    I will try with some of the things you suggester and see if t helps :)

AmyRedd likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice