Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month old kitten has lump on shoulder blades 1 week after FELV vaccination....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Luchia1991, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Luchia1991

Luchia1991 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking for abit of advice. I took my 8 month old kitten 11 days ago to get his first vaccination jab done, a week later I noticed a pea sized lump on his shoulder blades. I dont know where they done the injection! I took him to the vets immediately after googling it! And obviously seeing worst case scenario.

The vet was worried which made me worry. She did a test on the lump with a needle and went to test the blood. She came back and stated that he has a load of white blood cells, which she dont like. She also mentioned that this could be a possible tumour, which has obviously sent me worrying all day and night that I have caused this by taking him to get his vaccinations done! His now on antibiotics for a week and to see if this goes down by next week. He has an appointment to go back on Monday 2nd march.

Has anyone else had this issue with the vaccines and lumps and bumps on their neck?

Thank you

A very worried cat lover :(

2. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

White blood cells are a sign of infection and vets usually go around the shoulder area to jab.
    It is commonish (I say this as a person who has immunised 1000’s of children) to get a pea sized lump at the site of the needle. Local swelling also as the body reacts. You can rarely get an infection at the site.

One of my cats had a pea lump at the site which went after a few weeks. Getting your cat jabbed will not cause harm. You have done the right thing in protecting your cat.

Let us know how you get on.

3. Luchia1991

Luchia1991 PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I'm just so worried because the vet started talking about tumours. I ended up forgetting what she said because I was focusing on tumours!
    I've read quite alot of positive threads stating that vaccines can leave a pea sized lump for up to 6 weeks. So hopefully it is nothing.
    I ended up getting a second opinion from another vet last night and she said it's not overly common but it can happen. Apparently if it stay longer than 3 months or grows bigger that's when we worry. So fingers crossed his gonna be ok. Just me over worrying as his still only a baby :(

chillminx and bluecordelia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice