Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month old kitten - big booty

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by EricJ1022, Feb 17, 2020.

1. EricJ1022

EricJ1022 PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 month old kitten. It is a male domestic short hair. He's always been an active little guy, very friendly but definitely a little boy. As he grew, I noticed that he was "thicker" in the back end. Almost like his back end is growing fast/big but his front end is normal?

I didn't think too much of that. But I have noticed that he's not as athletic as his 1 year old "sisters". He can jump and run (with force) but he can't jump as high.

My girlfriend said she thought he had a different walk when she first saw him. It's not noticeably different, but I guess there is a difference in the way he moves. When he eats, she said his legs would be closer together, but they're not... I juts figured it was because he had a big booty!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could he be developing some sort of condition? Or is he just growing dis-proportionally and could end up just not being as athletic as other cats?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe get him checked by a vet?

lorilu likes this.
  3. EricJ1022

Why do people answer posts like that? I was obviously looking to see if someone else has experienced similar issues or concerns. Saying "maybe get him checked by a vet?" is disrespectful, condescending, and just the least productive and useful thing anyone could reply with (outside of being vulgar). Was more or less looking for someone to say "yeah, I had a kitten that had similar characteristics, it turned out to be _______, so I would take him to the vet." OR "yeah, I had a kitten that had similar characteristics, it turned out to be nothing, so no reason to worry" something like that.

I mean, think about it. What real value did that comment bring to the table?

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

We aren't vets and cannot diagnose your cat if he has some condition. That is why seeing a vet is usually recommended to people who are concerned about or want others to guess their cat's condition.

If he's slowed down in his activity level at such a young age it certainly is something to be concerned about. Perhaps he is having some pain. The vet should be your first step.

moomoowawa, chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That was my advice (for the reasons given above) - you’re free to take it or leave it.

Judging by the lack of responses, a big booty doesn’t seem common on the forum members’ cats.

chillminx, lorilu and SusieRainbow like this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

As stated above , we aren't vets and it appears that not many of us have cats with similar peculiarities to yours.
    Reduced mobility could be caused by pain on movement therefore requiring veterinary intervention.
    No-one here sets out to be rude or patronising.

7. EricJ1022

Again, wasn’t looking for an expert opinion. Those are reserved for professionals, like veterinarians.
    Sites like this are for non professionals to share their experiences and advice. Check out every other forum on the internet.
    I just started looking into it more and decided that asking other cat owners for their experiences or insights was a good start. Will I be going to the vet?? Of course I will haha.
    That first response brought zero value. Heck, saying “I’ve never heard of those types of concerns, even the big booty, but I would go to the vet to get an expert opinion because this isn’t common” would have sufficed.

some people just need lessons on communication

have a great night ladies!

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

:rolleyes:

#8 lorilu, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m afraid you don’t get to come on a public forum and dictate to it’s members how to respond.

Many people do come on here for advice/opinions in order to save a vet bill to the detriment of their animals.

Tigermoon, Linda Weasel and lorilu like this.
  10. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

I don’t think you can generalise in why people ask for advice on here. Many of us don’t want to appear paranoid to our vets with what could turn out to be nothing a lot of the time, so initially ask on here first. I think common sense alerts us to attend the vets with serious things.

There are a lot of well informed people on here that give great advice and save a wasted visit to the vets. In actual fact I take more heed of advice from people who have a vast experience with my breed of cat than my vet sometimes.

Gallifreyangirl and moomoowawa like this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Eh?

I said “many” not “all”.

The “general” advice given on the thread was “see a vet”.

Given the contrast in the cat’s movements/athleticism to it’s sibling I’m not sure anyone other than a vet (via examination/manipulation) could rule out a deformity/injury or pain and we all know (or should do) how stoic cats can be.

My concern is always for the animal’s welfare.

I reiterate, nobody dictates members’ responses/opinions.

lorilu likes this.
  12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I have just two words in respect of this thread: Half Term ......

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice