Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month old golden hip displacia

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Alexmadgwick123, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Alexmadgwick123

Alexmadgwick123 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

we have a 8 month old golden who is only a couple of months away from his full hip replacement. He had hip displacia from 12 weeks old. Due to this we can not excercise him or wear him out. We are having a nightmare with him eating the architrave. He only does this during the night, not during the day or when he is left alone. He doesn’t sleep at night due to being in pain, he falls off to sleep around 1 but spends his time before then eating the walls or architrave. He is in our bedroom at night time with us. We have tried pet sprays from shops, citrus and spicy nothing is deterring him. We have brought him the real wood chews for him to have, antlers, hoofs and horns he has every hard chew under the sun. We are pulling our hair out as we are not getting any sleep! He doesn’t respond to being told no and moved away from the area he goes straight back. Any advice on how to get him to stop doing this!!!?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Ah poor boy sounds difficult. What does his day look like ? Is he on any pain medication and what is he sleeping on someone may be able to suggest how to keep him more comfortable.

How much training and brain games are you doing in the day ? Mental stimulation can tire dogs out. Sniffy games as well. You could feed him using kongs. I hide food around the garden which my boys love.

cava14 una likes this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Why not have him sleep in a crate? It needs to be big enough for him to move around and you need to get him used to it - make it a ‘good’ place, rather than just bunging him in there, but it would protect your woodwork! There are posts online about introducing dogs to crates - I think there might be a ‘sticky’ post on this forum about doing so.

cava14 una, Twiggy and Burrowzig like this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I agree with Ian246. In all probability he will need full crate rest after his operation in any case so now would be a very good time to get him used to one.

Ian246 and cava14 una like this.
  5. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Senior

Swimming is a good exercise which builds muscle and will tire him and it is not weight bearing. Invest in a Bioflow collar which is worth tying rather than high levels of pain meds especially as he is such a young age. Both I have personal experience of and worked.

His chewing is helping him releive his anxiety to the pain he is feeling, I found raw bones worked a treat, tires them and mentally keeps them occupied.and you are not getting upset about him chewing the wrong things and I agree a large crate and get him used to it now before you will have to use one after the operation, make sure his weight is kept under control as Goldies tend to like their food too much

Ian246 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice