Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month old french bulldog food guarding and becoming aggressive with other dogs in the home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LD77, Nov 30, 2020.

1. LD77

LD77 PetForums Newbie

Hi all my 8 month old french bulldog has started to food guard and is becoming aggressive to other dogs in the home. All is well on walks but as soon as we get back he attacks the other dog in the kitchen, we currently cant have both of them in the same room together unless crated, they will be fine in the garden together no fighting unless we go out side then my frenchie will start a fight! Help!!! We are seperating them and crating and correcting when he kicks off. Any advice is gladly accepted

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

There is a ‘sticky’ on here about resource guarding.

How exactly are you ‘correcting’ him.
    Getting it wrong can make it a lot worse.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. LD77

LD77 PetForums Newbie

4. LD77

LD77 PetForums Newbie

We have been feeding separately so both other dogs in the kitchen, feeding and my frenchie in his cage, also by a stern no and giving him a time out in his cage but also rewarding him when he's been good

5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

OK first don't tell him off. Guarding behaviours stem from anxiety, so by punishing him you could actually make him worse. Best thing you can do is give them some time apart from each other, so there's no need to guard. Let their stress hormones come down (this can take 3 days) and make sure there is just no pressure on them to interact. Crates are great, stair gates etc, so they are separate but not completely isolated. Do this for a good few days so they all have time to 'come down' from the stress.
    You are totally right in feeding separately, but I'd go further and leave the one that guards alone completely while he eats so he has no fear of anyone bothering him. You can then go back in to him 15 mins later when he's done.
    Is it the kitchen particularly that he's guarding? I'd avoid him being in there with any of the dogs at all. If he's in there the others aren't, and vice versa. I would still walk them together if you can, but I'd get him ready to go out and then outside on his own, then bring the others out, and the same coming home. Either get him inside and out the way first before you bring the others in, or the other way around. You want to stop him worrying about being in the kitchen with the others, it's obviously a place of stress for him.
    The more positive interactions they have with each other the better, but you don't want to push it. At the moment it's likely to escalate so definitely give them a break from each other, then slowly reintroduce them on lead and when they are calm.
    If you are really worried then a good behaviourist is 100% worth chatting to, just to get some tips and advice if nothing else. Just make sure they use reward based methods rather than anything to do with dominance or punishment.

Kaily, O2.0, LittleMow and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice