Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

8 month old cockapoo stopped wanting to go to bed alone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by charlotte skipsey, Apr 6, 2019.

1. charlotte skipsey

charlotte skipsey PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 month old cockapoo and we crate trained her from being a pup. We have never had any issues, she always put herself to bed and slept throughout the night. However, this week she has been crying and barking until someone goes downstairs to settle her and she will eventually sleep however, this takes an hour or so. We think she may be coming into season soon, could that have anything to do with it? Does anyone have any tips? Thank you :)

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF, you'll find you'll get more help if you post this on DOG CHAT, not everyone comes on general chat.

3. danielled

danielled Guest

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

There’s a second fear imprint period around this age. It might be relevant in her case.

If possible, can you move her closer to you at night so she feels more secure, then gradually move her back to her original space in a month or so.

Behaviours that appear at this time can be really difficult to change in the future as they become really deeply ingrained, and it’s worth a bit of upheaval now to prevent issues later.

5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

She could be feeling hormonal as she is coming in to season. It could be that the hour change has affected her sleep rhythm. Or it could be that something has woken her in the night - usually an animal noise - and now she has a habit of broken nights. Anybody's guess ;)

I tend to suggest a change of routine at night - making sure that she has had a good run/play and time to settle back down and be ready for bed and then personally i sleep downstairs near them from the start (I have a portable mattress) so I can settle them to sleep and back into their usual night rhythm. Once the nights are restored, i move myself gradually away.

J

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice