Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 yr old cat suddenly unhappy with sister

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lullabies to Violaine, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Lullabies to Violaine

Lullabies to Violaine PetForums Newbie

Hi All!

First post here as we have been fine with our cats upto now and don’t really understand their current behaviour. As far as I can research, not affected by common factors.
    I’ll give you the full story anyway..

My wife and I have two 7 year old tortoiseshell sisters, Daria and Liz.
    Daria is big and boisterous. Really playful, really loving but quite independent too as she spends most of her time asleep in one of our two bedrooms.
    Daria is really small, always quite unsure (refuses to use a bigger scratching post we bought). Always really needy but really does always want attention on her own terms.

They share a litter tray and various food bowls with no hassle.

Only recently Daria has taken to hissing at Liz on a regular basis. Usually when Liz enters a room (usually our living room) where she is already sat with her on the sofa or when passing each other in the hallway.

I don’t know why this has happened all of a sudden at this stage and doesn’t seem to be fighting over food or anything.
    My thoughts would be that Daria has a nice comfy time going on and doesn’t want Liz to be involved (we always have to play with them separately as Liz is far more lively).

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

It's unusual for two cats who have been living together for so long to suddenly become unhappy with each other for no reason. I have two six-year-olds that fell out earlier this year, but there was a cause (redirected aggression).

So my assumption would be that something has happened and maybe it's a case of figuring out what that something is...

So, couple of questions:

1. Do your cats go outside at all?
    2. Have any new cats moved into the neighbourhood?
    3. Have you had them both checked out by a vet to see if there is an underlying health-related cause?

Ottery likes this.
  3. Lullabies to Violaine

Lullabies to Violaine PetForums Newbie

Hello! Thanks for that!

They don’t go outside at all but haven’t since we got them at a year old. They went outside every now and then with previous owner but were never too interested.

No new cats have moved in. One or two from around here come and sit in our garden (which looking to our flat) every now and then. Daria hates that be they quickly move on.

I do probably need a vet to check up on them. Truth be told, I need a new one. The one I go to we’re useless when I had them doctored when I first got them and left loose stitches hanging out.
    A few years ago my wife stood on Liz’s tail and upon seeing it they said it would need to be amputated and would never regain feeling. About 8 weeks after it was fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice