Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 year old black lab/collie cross

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hypercat54, Jul 10, 2019.

1. hypercat54

hypercat54 PetForums Newbie

My sisters dog seemed very healthy but from the age of about 5 onwards would suffer periodic virtual paralysis of her back legs. This would only last around a day or so. She didn't appear to be in any pain and I didn't over walk her though she loved running for the ball.

The last day I took her out she seemed tired and didn't run very much so I took her back early. That evening she just dropped dead with no warning. We don't know what caused it as the vet said post mortems can cost a lot and even then we might still not know.

Now my question is could the back leg paralysis have been the cause or a symptom of other health conditions such as a heart attack, a stroke, or a brain haemorage please. She was 7 and a half when she died and didn't have any other health conditions.

This has been haunting me for ages now so I hope someone can help me please.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Usually, temporary back leg paralysis is due to a disc pressing on the spinal cord in the part of the back behind the ribs. That shouldn't be related to heart attack or stroke, but you can never know what the cause of her sudden death was.

3. hypercat54

Thank you very much for your reply and that has put my mind at rest a bit. If a disc was pressing wouldn't she have been in pain though? She didn't appear to be and wagged her tail endlessly looking happy. x

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think not necessarily unless there was direct pressure on it - if you watch Supervet you can see the dogs wince or hold their breath when Noel presses on the spot. What they would be more likely to feel would be numbness in normal circumstances.

5. hypercat54

Thank you very much for that. I think she definitely had a disc problem but at least it didn't contribute towards a heart attack. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice