Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 wk old pup coughing

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nat1979, May 15, 2010.

1. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Not to worry

#1 nat1979, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I think if i were you i would find out the incubation period from the vets of whatever they think it is (i.e Kennel cough) and keep the pups for that length of time. You wouldn't want the new owners to have to try and settle a new pup who is already slightly stressed with a cough of incubating one as that may reduce their immune system to the point of them picking up something else on top! That would be devastating to you and the new owners IMO!

Hope they all get better soon. :(

kennel cough is an air bourne infection so no amount of keeping them seperate would have helped i am afraid! That is how it is spread in kennels and parks the dogs don't actually have to meet! :frown:

3. Shamen

Shamen Guest

imo you should deffo keep the litter for a few more weeks, it would be irresponsible to send a puppy to a new home if you werent sure it was 100% healthy.

4. Shamen

Shamen Guest

errrm you asked for opinions i gave you mine!:confused:

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

If one pup has it, you can almost guarantee the others will get it.

Mine developed KC at 7 weeks, 6 days, they were all gone by nine weeks, so if they are 7 weeks now, and you were planning to let them go at 8 weeks, then I would say a few days extra to be on the safe side. (i have to add, the whole litter developed it, and were all clear by the time they left)

Hope the vets bills aren't too hefty.

I kept a squeezy bottle of honey and a syringe - and gave them this occasionally to help soothe their throats, followed up with a syringe of water - they loved it :D

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Thankyou for you info
    All pups are going for there 7 wk check up before going to they new homes this monday But some of the owners are wanting there pups next week i have told them i might have to keep them for 2-3 wks longer

7. Shamen

Shamen Guest

lmao well maybe youre a bit touchy then if you think giving an opinion that YOU asked for is 'jumping the gun':D

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

You mention the pups are going to the vets - is it possible to get the vet to come to you rather than spread a few more KC germs.

While it will also cost you more money - it just might be worth asking the vet about treating them for Lung worm as a precaution at the same time (Advocate is I believe the treatment of choice for this and also covers fleas and ticks) - the symptoms are very similar.

I ended up treating my whole brood for both - I nearly cried when I saw the vets bill - but hey ho, decided better safe than sorry.

9. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Thanks for you info can Advocate be given to 7 wk old pups ?

They have been wormed since 2 wks old and are due they frontline combo at 8 wks which i am getting on monday for the pups to go with

Thats a good idea to get vet to come here they only 10 mins away and money is not a problem i will always find money to look after my dogs and pups

10. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Well did not like the word irresponsible as i can sure you i am not

11. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Speak to your vets, I breed Labs, which tend to be monsters at 7 weeks - I think a lot of what they can and can't have depends on weight - mine were most certainly OK - and I don't think (obviously ONLY if your vet is in agreement) to cover all bases, particularly if you might have a dog in the house partial to the odd night-time slug or snail - ewwww :(

12. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

I didnt think advocate covered lung worm, i know panacur does but i think you have to give it slightly differently if treating to cover for lung worm than if giving for the other worms but vets advice important here :thumbup:

hope puppy improves and the others dont go down with it

13. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

:confused: My vet reliably informs me it does - I know Panacur says it does, and this is what I use on my pups.

My 'normal' wormer Milbemax I was told covers lungworm - but when I in fact spoke to the vet about this, was told it does, but it had to be given weekly for about 4 weeks in order to cover the dogs.

Whatever turns out to be the right treatment, talk to your vet who will, on this, hopefully be best placed to advise.

Edited to add, although it doesn't say it on the website, just been reading up a bit, and it seems it has recently been licensed for the treatment of LW - it also covers HW and a whole host of other things - eeek - scary really how something that doesn't go inside can be quite so powerful !!!

#13 swarthy, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  14. Shamen

Shamen Guest

i never said you were i said 'it would be' irresponsible! but maybe i came across a bit sharp because i was a bit shocked that someone would consider letting pups go who quite possibly were incubating a disease!

15. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Been to vets - Dogs stayed in car vet came out

So far i have 3 adults coughing all on tablets and i have been told that a week of tablets will be ok for them but they could still show signs of coughing

The pup is on tablets for a week and is going back next sunday and i have been giving some more tabs just in case any more start I have been told to keep them for aleast a wk before allowing them to go But all pups will be going with they check up form which will state that i have have kc in my home
    I tell all my owners to book a appointment with they vet for health check as soon as they have the pup so all the pups vets will know that they have had kc.

They is not much us i can do
    Pups are fine in themselves

16. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your dogs and pup are poorly,hope they get better real soon,must be such a worry for you.

17. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hope they get better soon Nat

18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

For some reason, I couldn't reply to your PM.

The vet treated the pups with Synulox and I added the honey :D

The puppy owners were absolutely fine about it.

Hope your babies are soon on the mend :D

19. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Thanks hun
    My vet gave me synulox for the pup as well for a wk owners are fine about it and all pups are going with a covering note saying that i have had kc in my house.No more pups have got it yet !

20. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

how's them pupsters ?? have they all gone now xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice