Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 month old kitten with bad legs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Natalie112233, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Natalie112233

Natalie112233 PetForums Newbie

My 7 month old kitten has recently had worms and a bacterial infection. I also noticed she had trouble jumping up and didn't sit on her bum and began dragging her legs. I told this to the vets at the time of her bacterial infection but they said that the infection was probably causing this. Although they did say she had little muscle on her back legs/hips.

Now she is over the bacterial infection and worms , she still doesn't sit on her bum properly like she used to and doesn't jump as well as she used to too. She sometimes drags her legs and noticed one of her hips sticking out ( shown in picture).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll go to vets again but feel like they will say she's fine again.

Thanks

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

In my experience, vets usually start with the most obvious cause and least invasive treatment unless it’s obvious or serious so now that she’s over the infection but her legs still don’t seem right, they will look at other causes.

So I would make an appointment and go from there.

I’d expect them to check the alignment of her hips and legs and her movement and range to start with.

They might suggest an x-ray.

OrientalSlave and chillminx like this.
  3. Wakarundayo

Wakarundayo PetForums Newbie

I would definitely take her back for some more tests.
    Doesn't sound exactly the same but my cat started jumping less as he grew up around the same age as yours and I noticed he was sticking out one of his legs out while sitting and crouching and the vet had a look and said it was an overstretched ligament, but that he also could just have weak muscles. He has improved since but he's just generally clumsy and weaker on one of his back legs. He zooms around the house no problem though.

Hope you get an answer soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice