Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 month border collie training issues!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by andipandy29, Jul 12, 2018.

1. andipandy29

andipandy29 PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have a 7 month old border collie male. We have had him since 7.5 weeks due to his mum starting to bite at him and I am absolutely at my wit's end with house training! I have read multiple times he should be able to go 7 hours without needing to pee again but he regularly goes every 4 hours in my house without even an attempt at going near the door he goes outside in. He regularly makes no noise for when he needs to pee and just goes when he feels like! We did have it kind of sorted until he got neutered 3 1/2 weeks ago and even went on holiday with no issues. He knows simple commands and responds well to them but has lost his "heel" tactic recently (I presume from lack of practice because we normally just test full recall on a walk, sit/down/leave/off are fine).

He does very occasionally whine when he needs a wee or a poo and when he goes outside he gets rewarded with lots of fuss but he just doesn't seem to get it a good 90% of the time. He will either go from midnight-6 absolutely fine or its a 10/2/6 issue. He is not crated as even with multiple encouragement he would still destroy his crate as a 8-12 week old pup and constantly whine in it for hours on end. We have even tried sleeping in the same room as him to no avail, he will just continue to go in the same place.

My concerns are this
    - why is he going only every 4 hours when he should be going 6-7?
    -what can I do to get him going completely overnight without starting from square one and crate training him?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Go back a few steps and take him out more often so he has less chance of accidents. After he wakes, eats, plays, training, etc. If he goes 4 hours, take him out every 3 and praise/reward like crazy.

Slowly extend the time as his body adjusts and develops.

Don’t leave the door open for free access to the garden as that can hinder training.

Clean any previously soiled areas with hot, biological solution, rinsed well.

Remove rugs if they encourage him.

Block the area - put his food and water there as he won’t want to toilet near his food (or a chair, bin, etc.).

BTW my 9 year old lurcher has a very subtle, quiet way of asking to go out which could be easily missed.

Burrowzig likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

As well as the above, if he cannot last 7 hours, can you get a dog walker to visit in the middle to let him out to relieve himself (and also to break up the solitude)?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I assume you mean overnight and not during the day? When do you feed him and what are you feeding him?

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ah, I misunderstood ...:Eggonface

6. DizzyNova

DizzyNova PetForums Member

I understand your frustrations, we have an 11 month old cockapoo who regressed with her toilet training about 7 months old and while I think we may have finally cracked it, I'm not holding my breath and it's still a work in progress. Luna has only just started to ask to go out when she needs to go, but I am still vigilant for any signs that I might not be picking up on.

In terms of your concerns, try not to think of how long he 'should' be able to hold it - all dogs are different and he might just need a few extra months to get there, Luna would wake up every morning desperate for the toilet and crying long after the 'experts' said she should, until one day she didn't wake us up because she didn't need to go. Is there any particular reason you don't want to crate train? I've always found it crucial in housetraining a puppy as they often don't like to soil where they sleep/eat (to start with I feed mine in their crates too).

There are also some bells that you can get to put by your door to train him to ring them to let him out. I've never used them as mine have always learned a way that suits themselves eventually but I did consider them for Luna as I think her way to start with was so subtle, we were constantly missing it! Now she scratches at the door, which is much more obvious to us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice