Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

7 Day Recovery Following My Cats Castration Has Been Difficult

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hi Cat Milo, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Hi Cat Milo

Hi Cat Milo PetForums Newbie

My precious cat Milo is on his 4th day recovery following his castration operation.

I was advised by the veterinarian to keep on his collar for 7 days so he doesn't lick his wound and disrupt his healing.

I take it off a couple times a day so he can groom himself and then I put it back on.

I feel like he is not his usual self which is understandable offcourse.

I just want him to be happy again .

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Poor chap , are you sure he needs a collar on ? Collars are very rarely needed especially with male cats as the wound is so small and usually (but not always ) glued rather than stitched.
    My lad didn't need a collar and was not in the least interested in the wound at all.
    He had a quick check and then got back into bashing his toys , stuffing his face and in general being a normal kitten.

Calvine and Hi Cat Milo like this.
  3. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

I was going to ask did the castration go smoothly with no issues? Is there a reason to keep collar on? Didn’t use a collar with Andre and also doing after initial investigation left the area alone. He was quiet for the 2 days that followed before bouncing back

Hi Cat Milo likes this.
  4. Hi Cat Milo

Thank you for sharing this Buffie . I have to say the veterinarian did make me feel anxious about the whole thing. I have just taken off the collar as it's been 4 days and the wound must have healed by now. He's giving himself a makeover as we speak now lol. Thanks again ❤

Calvine and buffie like this.
  5. Hi Cat Milo

Thanks for your message Willow . Everything with the operation went well it's just the veterinarian insisted he wore the neck collar for 7 days. But after a lot if reading, it all suggests that it's not necessarily a requirement. Thanks again

Calvine likes this.
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Just keep an eye on him, I'm sure once he is happy he has had a good clean he will be a happy boy again .

Hi Cat Milo and Calvine like this.
  7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

unless he needed a bigger operation to remove undescended testes then there really is no need for a collar - I've only ever had boys and without exception after the initial "inspection" they totally ignored the area and got back to their usual manic kitten selves !

Hi Cat Milo and Calvine like this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Never had a collar on after a castration (or a spay for that matter). Sure Milo will be fine and in fact being 'not himself' may improve if the collar is removed. Most cats hate them.

Hi Cat Milo likes this.
  9. Hi Cat Milo

He seems happier already .
    Thanks a lot ❤

buffie and Calvine like this.
  10. Hi Cat Milo

You are absolutely right. He's so much happier and isn't going mad on that area like the Vet had suggested. Thanks a lot for the message ❤

Calvine likes this.
  11. Hi Cat Milo

Bless Milo. He's doing great and is back to his good old self ❤

Polly G and buffie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice