Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

6 yo Cat diagnosed with HCM and CHF

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Katie loves fluffy, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Katie loves fluffy

Katie loves fluffy PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer some insight at this very difficult time.
    My 6 year old baby has been diagnosed with CHF as a result of HCM this weekend.
    He was admitted to ICU with difficulty breathing due to fluid on the lungs and has since made a nice recovery on his breath rate (down to 30 per min). He was prescribed 0.45ml diuretics 2x a day.

He has been home for 2 days, he drinks a lot of water however his apetite has decreased and is still extremely lethargic. Blood tests have shown that his kidney function isn't great, his thyroid is normal and his electrolytes are down.

More concerning, he has been experiencing intermittent weakness in his front right leg where he bends from the elbow, drags his paw and doesn't put pressure on it. This happened quite noticeably yesterday at 5pm and again today at 2pm.
    Yesterday we took him to the emergency vet and by the time we got there he was walking fine. They placed him on 1/4 of an anti clotting pill 1x a day just in case he had developed a small clot.

I'm trying to understand what is happening to his front right leg and why it is so on and off (intermittent) one minute he is fine and the next he isnt, and then hes back and fine again?

I'm also trying to understand as to what can be done for him at this stage and his likelihood of recovery.

I would appreciate any feedback on this matter, i know he may not have long and i want him to be as happy as possible.

2. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Oh poor sweetheart. I know nothing about this but didn’t want to read and run so am tagging @Ceiling Kitty in case she’s around.

You might get more views if you post in the cat health section.

Very best of luck.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice