Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

6 visits to the vets in 3 months! Ideas?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clairey262, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Ditto Blackadder. No need to add anything to Chappie. I’d carry on as you are reduce biscuit slowly. Less change for his tum. If Chappie agrees, I’d use 100% and not complicate by adding anything. Keep it simple. Plus Chappie will be easier to digest and kinder to his tum,

2. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Oh that poor lad!
    I've only just come back to have a look on this forum, so I'm a bit 'late in the game', so to speak. As ever, looks like you've been given some great advice and your boy is stabalishing (good ol' Chappie!!). Just caught my eye because my boy had had a lovely dose of colitis - all self-induced however - as a 7mth old pup.
    As a now 17mth old-still silly EBT, he's caused a horrible bout of colitis by eating some of his own bedding! 3 days after he managed to pass the fibre, but the colitis followed, in fact 3 wks of really frequent loose stools, coated in mucus and blood. Very worrying for us as he was so young and lost about a 10th of his weight at the time (gained it fairly quickly, thankfully), but at the time we were so worried.
    We'd had him on a fish & rice diet to ease his gut, and aside from all the meds that probably didn't help with his sensitive gut, we gave him Pro-Kolin to try to restore the gut flora. Thankfully, he hasn't had an reoccurances. However, the change in diet has been a big issue. He's a white dog and they're prone to skin and food allergies. We've gone through the Chappie phase (made him a bit itch after a while); Eukanuba Dermatosis FP (dry with wet topper); and now a home cooked diet. Have to keep the starches/sugars down because he has a on/off relationship with a yeast infection in his ear. Felt the kibble wasn't helping here.
    Sorry, I will get to the point now! To restore his good gut flora we started to give him pre &probiotics as it seemed all the anitbiotics/steroids etc had probably taken their toll on his gut. We even go out especially to buy him Kefir* - a probiotic yogurty-type drink that almost every 'holistic' dog health site sang the praises of.
    Maybe after his ordeal, Robbie might need to have some probiotics to restore his gut flora?
    I've read the replies you've received and I'd say if the Chappie is working for the boy, go with that. You've got a big boy - and I have a greedy boy - so I understand why you're still add kibble. As much as we don't want him to have his ears flare up again, we do still chuck in a bit to fill him up.
    BTW, if its any use to you, Chappie is sold in those massive big tins for £1.65 at The Range,
    Wishing Robbie well x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice