Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

6 months old persian severe diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Denise31M, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Denise31M

Denise31M PetForums Newbie

I have a 6 month old kitten which i got in September. When I brought him home he was perfectly fine. 2 weeks later he started having diarrhea and even blood in his stool. When I brought him home he had some food left from his previous owner, and I changed it gradually to Royal Canine. The process (the transition) was finished around the time he started having problems. I went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics and I changed his diet to gastrointestinal food (at that time my other cat was having kind of the same problems). We did tests on their stool. Nothing was wrong. He was ok for a wile. His stool wasn’t constantly good, but mostly it was ok. It was always ,,compact” even though it was soft. 3 weeks later he started having a much softer poop and blood in his stool. This lasted for 3 days. We did an ultrasound and nothing was wrong with him. We did test for viruses. Nothing. They started suspecting that he had inflammatory bowel disease. They changed his food to hippoallergenic, and gave him vitamins and prednicortone. For one week or so he was good. Then he started having severe diarrhea, like never before. We went to the doctor. Again. They gave us antibiotics for 7 more days and something else for diarrhea. Now is the 5th day when his stool looks like colored pee. We started the new treatment yesterday. The thing is he is not getting better. He’s losing weight and even though he, in general, is active and it doesn’t seem to bother him, is not ok. The only way to know for sure if it’s IBD is endoscopy and I’m scared to do it. We don’t even know what is wrong with him. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any tips please?

#1 Denise31M, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Have you tried going back to the food he was on?

3. Denise31M

I was afraid that it will disturb his diet, even though I thought about it. I wanted to make a routine that apparently isn’t working

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What you are feeding now doesn't seem to agree. What was his original diet?

5. Denise31M

Orijen and Acana

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Have you tried him on a bland diet to stop the diarrhoea? e.g. plain home cooked chicken drumsticks or legs, or poached white fish? Add plenty of the cooking juices, and give nothing else except water. The bland diet rests the bowel.

It is likely on the bland diet he may not poo for a couple of days, as his bowel will slow down, and he will have less waste to pass on a high protein diet. As soon as he passes a formed stool you need to transfer him back slowly day by day back to a cat food diet. I wouldn't go back to the Royal Canin food though as it evidently does not suit him.

Foods I suggest to transfer him to, to start with would be one of these at first - Thrive Complete cans of chicken or turkey and chicken, Natures Menu pouches, Country Hunter pouches, Wainwrights pouches, or HiLife The One Chicken pouches (all from pet stores).

7. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Oh dear! Do you mean he was on Orijen and Acana at the breeders? Did you start to change his food as soon as you got him home?

8. Denise31M

I was so afraid to do anything like that, even though I thought about it. The truth is the antibiotics and the hypoallergenic food aren’t working so I actually believe that I’m going to try changing his diet and see how he reacts to it. I’m thinking about starting with boiled chicken and rice. I also bought some supplements from a website (from RX vitamins: essentials and nutrigest; and viyo reinforces) who are supposed to help with diarrhea and act like a pro-biotic. How does that sound? I’m so scared...

9. Denise31M

Yes. When he was at the breeders he was eating orijen and acana. I did the transition to royal canine slowly (in like two weeks) and I only did it because the only way I could’ve bought orijen and acana was from an website because we don’t have them in our contry at pet stores.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Denise31M - it is best not to give rice when there is diarrhoea, as it is is likely to make his condition worse. Keep to plain chicken (drumsticks, not breast meat). The bland diet is a "rescue" treatment for diarrhoea, it's not intended to be fed all the time. It is for a few days only.

Once the diarrhoea has stopped and he has passed a normal firm stool, he needs to be slowly transferred to a properly balanced diet of cat food. Chicken and rice is not a properly balanced diet and as he is only 6 months old it is vital he gets his full requirements of vitamins and minerals to help build strong muscles. As I say, the plain chicken diet is for a few days only.

To conserve the nutrients it is best not to boil it but cook the chicken in a roasting pan, with 5 cms of water added for stock, and cover the pan tightly with kitchen foil. Cook gas mark 5, top shelf for one hour.

Serve without the bone and chopped into small pieces, with plenty of the cooking juices. Drain the cooking juices into a pyrex jug or bowl, and when cool refrigerate over night. Then skim off the fat next day and save it for another day. You will be left with a nutritious jelly which you can add to his chicken meals. Warm the jelly in the microwave as needed and add to the cold meat.

11. Denise31M

Ok. Thank you so much! What do you think about supplements? Should I try them?

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Not at present. Stopping the diarrhoea must be your priority and the way to do that is with a simple bland diet of chicken or white fish.

No supplements, no treats, no cat milk, no dry food. Just plain chicken or plain poached white fish. And plenty of water available in several bowls. Filtered water or bottled water is best when there is an upset bowel.

13. Denise31M

Ok! Thank you so much!

14. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Moving to a new home is stressful for a kitten and they are also exposed to pathogens within an environment that they will not be used to. Add to this an immediate change of diet and you've added yet another stress factor the kitten must cope with. Result is you end up with a tummy upset. This is why I tell all my new owners that they must not try to feed anything else or change the kittens diet for at least a month after they take it home.

First things first you must stop the diarrhoea and allow the kittens digestive system time to recover. As Chillminx says feed chicken or fish which has been cooked in plain water. Give several small meals a day. Remove the other food for now. Hopefully you'll see improvement in the stools within a couple of days.

Carefully trim the fur around the backside of the kitten (known as a hygiene trim) so the hair is shorter which makes keeping him clean easier.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice