Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

6 month puppy not sleeping...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lou1012, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Lou1012

Lou1012 PetForums Newbie

We were in an excellent routine with our pup who slept in an unlocked crate in the kitchen from 10-7/7.30 every day. Then we went on holiday and she went to kennels and since being back she just won't go to sleep and whines and barks - we've now had to start locking the crate as she is destroying the door - and when she does sleep she then wakes at 4am/5am - whenever she feels. We tried ignoring this but don't think our neighbours are too pleased and we have 2 little ones that need to sleep. Tried more exercise, tried leaving radio on and don't know what to do.......sleep deprivation is killing me! Please someone give me a miracle solution!

Hala likes this.
  2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

There is no miracle solution. Being so young, your puppy was probably stressed by the stay at the kennels and it has completely broken her routine so you will have go back and start again. I would sleep down stairs with her for a while and encourage her to go back in the crate voluntarily so that she can learn to relax at night again. Some kennels are notoriously noisy and the dogs can wake and bark from first light.

It's certainly not about exercising her more ...especially as she is still as pup ...it's about getting her back in a good routine and reducing her stress (you say she starts to destroy the door if left out of her crate - that's a level of separation anxiety). Don't rush her. If someone sleeps nearby to keep her calm, then everyone will get some sleep until she is ready to settle on her own again.

J

Lou1012, lullabydream and Magyarmum like this.
  3. Hala

Hala PetForums Newbie

When I got my puppy Cleo she was the same : stressed and didn't want to be alone. I remember her whinning all night not letting my family sleep. At first she slept in a cage big enough for her too move (she was 2 months old btw) near my parents bed she whined the first week but got used to it after. Now if that doesn't work I know many of you will disagree with that but you could try letting the pup sleep in your bed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice