UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 6 month old Chihuahua/Pomeranian. She is pretty much house trained (I understand she is still young and will have accidents) however, she has randomly started peeing in her crate when left with bedding in it, and screaching the place down if left without bedding. We live in a terraced house and so obviously I cannot leave her barking all night, so I moved her to the back of the house (bathroom) in her crate but with a pee pad on the floor so she could have her bed and be able to relieve herself, but still screeching.

She doesn't like to be left on her own and follows me around the house, but occasionally will happily sleep in her crate and let me get on with things, she seems to change constantly between being very well behaved to being a nightmare. Last night I ended up putting the crate in our room and she finally went to sleep, however is this something I really do not want to do and I definitely do not want her in the bed with us as when my mother haves her (when i am away some weekends) she has to sleep downstairs and so I want the sleeping away from people to be consistent.

She has also started running off when let off her lead, when she was younger she would stay close to me and be generally well behaved, however I let her off the other day and she ran straight out of the park and onto the road. I just dont know what has happened to her and I dont know how to deal with it, and am at the end of my tether. I couldnt imagine getting rid of her and I really dont want to but sometimes i feel it is the only option! please help me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thankyou everyone, she is due to be in season, and I am going to ring the vets this week to make sure she doesnt have an UTI as that does sound possible. Today i was in the house on my own and left her in her crate while i went about the house and she was fine, a few whimpers and she stopped. Its when we are together in a seperate room or even on the sofa when she is in her crate she doesnt like it, I think she thinks she is missing out on something. so we are going to try and leave her for short times at first and so on, but together. So she gets used to us both being in differant rooms. in regards to:

What training have you done/do you do with her?

What house rules to you have for her i.e. not allowed on furniture?

How many people are in the house?

Do you replace the bedding and wash the crate out thoroughly after each incident?

What have you tried with blocking her access off to people and allowing her to find something to amuse hersef with such a chew toy or a toy stuffed with her food?
She is allowed on the furniture yes, however if she falls asleep on it I put her in her crate, with the door shut but not locked to reinforce that the crate is where she sleeps, which she is then happy to stay in and sleep

there are just the two of us

yes i have washed the bedding and cleaned the crate

she has chews constantly

We both work different times every week and with me being a student aswell we never have a set routine which i feel may not be helping things but I do always try to feed her around the same times each day give or take an hour or two depending on our work schedules. Tonight I am going to try leaving her in the living room with her bedding, and waking up to take her out

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.