Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

6 month old puppy barking at and chasing dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by louisamaria91, Sep 24, 2013.

1. louisamaria91

louisamaria91 PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new to this site so forgive me if I am doing anything wrong?
    I have a 6 month old pug. He was well socialized with classes and meets ups with friends since day 1 and he was always so friendly and playful. However, when he was 13 weeks old, three off lead huskies chased him over the park. He was screaming and ran for his life. Since then he randomly chases and lunges at dogs (old, young, male, female, off lead, on lead). He also barks quickly and rather high pitched. He has never bitten or even made contact with any person or any dog. He runs up to them within say a meter barking then runs away. He is generally very submissive with people and other dogs and tends to be OK if the other dog comes and greets him from behind. If so, he sniffs and seems to relax.

We have been de-sensitizing him using a clicker and it is much better already, we can walk past 90% of dogs with no problem. But he still pushes it once in a while. I cant seem to find the stimulus?

Also, I have tried walking away, tried the lets go command, saying no, a sharp noise etc etc but it doesn't work. I keep him calm when I approach a dog, change directions a lot, treat when he looks at the dog and looks away. I just cant gauge when he is going to go mad.

I need this to stop, although he has never bitten ANYTHING (he even licks his food) and shows no other signs of aggression or dominance, I worry one day it will turn on to a fight? :(

We have tried everything our trainer recommended, all of which work 90% of the time. But today for example, my fiend visited with her two lhasa apsos (both fixed, one male one female). He charged instantly at the female and barked like mad...she was terrified and ran under the table to hide. But he greeted the male, licked him, humped him, play chased him etc etc and was fine with the female within around 5 minutes...

Any advice?

2. cathrob

cathrob PetForums Newbie

Hi, I also have a 6 month old westie/yorkie cross who has found his voice. he his brilliant just with us, but walking him, or visitors to the house is hardwork... I bought a stop barking collar that gives an ultrasonic sound when he barks and it works!!! took him for an hour walk and no barking!!!! still barks when its off!! we are working on that!!!

3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

louisamaria91, it sounds like you are on the right track. I would keep on doing what you're doing and definitely continue working with the trainer. He's only 6 months, and 90% is pretty good all things considered.
    All I'd add is that since you know he's going to probably react negatively to new dogs until he gets to know them, practice management and prevent him going for other dogs whenever possible.

I'm sorry but this is really unfair to not only your dog but to other dogs yours come in contact with. Ultrasonic collars not only punish the dog who barks, but all dogs in the vicinity who can also hear the sound of the collar.
    Besides, how fair is it to punish a dog who may be expressing fear or anxiety?

4. louisamaria91

louisamaria91 PetForums Newbie

Thanks ouesi, this gives me confidence. We went on a walk today and he passed 10 dogs, no noise and he looked up at me instantly. Then on the way home, we walked round the corner to my house and was met instantly by my neighbour's dog. He went crazy... I don't think he likes being surprised by other dogs (or some people).

He has also recently taken to barking at dogs on TV. Just dogs, not cats/sheep/cows etc. He goes insane and runs round the tv growling. My other dogs have never done this...I will try treating him when he is quiet.

Just a quick question, he has an un-descended testicle and is due to be neutered because of it in 2-3 weeks. Could the issue be causing any behavioral changes and once neutered, is there any chance it could make him worse?

I wont use a collar, mostly because he is a pug so I prefer to use a harness as collars can cause a tracheal collapse. Also, he is pretty timid with loud noises I wouldn't want to make it any worse :(

Louisa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice