Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

6 month old kitten on cage rest

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mbaker10, Sep 25, 2020.

1. mbaker10

mbaker10 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, new member so thank you for having me. :)

We have a 6 month old adventurous kitten Luna who decided to launch himself out of an upstairs window chasing a fly. (When we got him from the breeder they thought it was a girl, as did we, thus the name Luna. Subsequent vet visit proved he is actually male, we just didn't change the name!)

He has had surgery with pins to repair 2 x broken metacarpals in front left paw, and they also had to remove his 5th digit as it was so badly damaged in the fall. The surgery went well, but is now on strict cage rest for 8 weeks and has a lovely bright pink cast.

We borrowed the dog crate (picture attached), and so far it has a litter tray (Which has been used for number 1&2) and a blanket he likes sleeping on. I have also purchased a couple of bowls which attach to the side for water and food, but am currently just giving him food and water at regular times. The vet said the cast can't get wet otherwise would be another vet visit.

He is obviously uncomfortable currently given the surgery was only 2 days ago, and is still getting used to the collar. He is obviously dying to get out of the cage and crying at points. I have him in the lounge with the TV on the nature channel and a view out of a window for distractions during the day. Does anyone have any tips for keeping him occupied and not too distressed? At night I've been leaving him with a blanket partially covering the crate so he feels secure, and doesnt seem too upset yet. I've also ordered a feliway plug in to help calm him. We also have his brother Leo, who I can tell wants to play with him but isn't allowed. Will they still have the same bond at the end of the 8 weeks, as they arent playing at all or sleeping together now which they used to quite a lot.

TLDR, looking for suggestions on how to stimulate kitten on cage rest, and any tips/advice to others who have had to go through the process? Thank you for reading and your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @mbaker10 and welcome :)

I am very sorry to hear about the nasty injuries your poor kitten Luna has sustained. It's always awful when such a young lively cat has to be confined to cage rest.

The dog crate looks a bit small. I would get one large enough for Luna to have a small water bowl and his food in there, as well as room for a few toys. He does need access to fresh clean water at all times.

There are some heavy weight ceramic cat bowls made by Mason Cash which I use for water bowls, as they are difficult to tip over. If you put only 2 - 3 cms of water in at a time, (and keep re-filling it) it should be safe. I think they will be more comfortable for him to use than a bowl attached to the cage.

https://www.masoncash.co.uk/index.php/products/pets/cane-pet-bowls/cane-cat-bowls.html

(Amazon also sells them, and Pets at Home)

It sounds as though Luna is well catered for with entertainment. :). Putting him right by a window so he can watch the birds and squirrels etc is a good idea. Placing his crate on a large table by the window will give him a better view (unless your windows are French Windows. )

Playing with him through the bars with a wand toy is OK as long as he just moves a paw and is not trying to jump around.

I'd recommend getting your windows protected with mesh nets so you can safely have a window open whenever you want to. I have all my upstairs opening windows protected with these and they are so useful! Mine come from Flat Cats, who do made-to-measure nets as well as standard nets. The nets are stuck to the window frames with velcro. There are other makes but some are less reliable and I have never had a problem with any of my Flat Cat nets being pulled off.

https://www.flat-cats.co.uk/

p.s. maybe you could consider changing Luna's name to Luca or Ludo as "she" is a boy, LOL :D x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice