Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5min rule??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pika, May 3, 2011.

1. pika

pika PetForums VIP

I want some advice regarding the 5min rule and until what age does this apply??

Skye is a very high energy dog and I have tried to follow it but I have this feeling she could do with longer walks and this may help her release some energy and get her more settled with people approaching her if she has had a full walk in which she is tired and happy from.

She is a year old now so in the 5min rule she should be walked 1 hour per day.

2. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

yeah...ok my thoughts on this...i have been told by my vet that pups can run around as much as they like and you can walk them as much as you like and it will not affect them...it is the jumping up and down on the couch ( or any furniture) or going up and down stairs that cause problems...

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm not sure really, but I think it's until they're mature. Since Skye is a small-ish dog I would think that you could increase her walks a bit now she is 1. But I could well be wrong.

4. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Thank you very much for your thoughts. This is a relief for me.

I honestly think if I can give her longer walks a lot of problems she is having will go away!

5. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Heh :eek: to be honest I have already increased them to 1hr 30min a day and she still wants more. I still think she needs more as well. They are all very very spread out, never all at once.

Thank you very much!

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

The 5 min rule I know is 5 mins x however many months old they are, and give them that twice a day on lead (or once, depends who you speak to!) as max forced walking on tarmac kind of thing.

For me offlead play going at their own pace on grassy areas doesn't count and by about 6 months old I doubt I'd bother with the rule just be careful not to have them doing any hard running on tarmac and try and keep them on softer ground (running on tarmac is bad for humans too!).

When Rupert was young it was no stairs, no jumping up and balancing on his back legs to get at/look at things and basically if he looked tired slow down if he doesn't keep going :p

My brother had a habit of playing basket ball with him on the concrete at the back of our house and I used to go mental about that because Rupert was just leaping about bashing into the fence in his excitement and was on his back legs all the time.

#6 GoldenShadow, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    pika likes this.
  7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The five minute rule was a phrase coined by someone I know, and count as a friend; he is incredibly knowledgeable about dog health and has been promoting various health schemes and similar for many years. It was meant as an easy to remember phrase, that people could use as a rough guide, and it refers to the amount of lead or forced walking you do with your pup as they grow. It isn't off lead play although you should still be careful with an exciteable pup that they don't overdo it. It's simply to prevent undue strain happening, that would affect a dog that has the propensity to develop problems with their joints; once the muscles are tired that's when the potential damage could occur, hence the easy to remember rule.

I stuck to it as much as possible with my bitch Tau, although she was a nutter as a pup, and ran round everywhere like it was her own personal wall of death, jumped over baby gates by about three months of age, jumped on and off everything she could, her hip scores and elbow grades are the lowest possible, thank goodness!

One other point to consider, with any dog, using their brain wears them out much more than physical exercise alone. I would consider doing some form of training alongside exercise, you will notice much more difference that just exercise alone. :)

pika likes this.
  8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's actually their daily quota hun, so not twice per day, just the once ;)

9. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Thank you very much :)
    Ah so the offlead doesn't count?? Thats fantastic! :lol: She spends a good 30min offlead so if I could do that more it would be fantastic!!

She doesn't spend much time on tarmac or concrete most of it is on grass as the park is about 10min's from my door :)

10. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel is almost 11 months old and he gets a minimum of 1 hour offlead walking a day, any less(when he's healthy) and he goes nuts, barking, mouthing(only when he's overexcited) doing walls of death around the room etc.

I've only used that rule for on lead walking, i shouldn't have bothered because Tummels natural offlead pace is pretty much running :p he's much better now and usually goes at a quick trot but he's still faster than me. He spends 80% of his walks offlead anyway i only put him back on when passing the cow and calf field as they don't like him much.

When i get my new puppy i'll use it as a guideline but the rule has to adapt for each dog(size, energy level etc). When Tummel was 5/6 months old we had horrendous blizzards that left us stuck on the farm and we were out for hours at a time playing but it's done him no harm :) he loved it and it really helped bring his recall on...until his hormones kicked in at 7 months and he lost it again :rolleyes:

11. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Ah I see, so, lets say I were to stick to walking her on lead 1hr 30min per day, I say 1hr 30min because the on lead is 15 min on concrete and 15 min on lead on grass then she goes off, this is 3 times per day, would this be ok?

Ah yes, mental exersise, she does one nina ottoson toy a day, practice all her tricks and spend 20min and the new one she is learning a day. Is this a good amount of mental exersise or should we be doing more or less?

:lol: I'm sort of clueless with the mental side of things as various trainers say the pup can't stay focussed for that long but even as a young pup she was so focused when it came to learning commands, she loves is!

12. GoldenShadow

I edited and put in brackets or once depending who you speak to, lots of people say that twice a day including my old vet. I didn't know about it when I had Rupert so I can't even really say how long a walk he got as I can't remember..! :eek:

13. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Thank you very much :D

14. GoldenShadow

Not to my knowledge no its 'forced' walking that they shouldn't do too much of. I don't know as much about dog joints as I do people joints but my Dad's a podiatrist and has seen so many injuries related to exercise on hard surfaces (usually tarmac) that he and a lot of his colleagues ended up doing a research project into it and the general conclusion was any time you can avoid tarmac especially for anything more than a walk do so else you stand more chance of problems with hips/knees/feet the lot.

Rupert's breeder did say to me to exercise him on grass where possible especially to start with but I think that was partly to help his pads harden up from being puppy soft too..!

15. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Thank you very much for the help!

I believe I shall be taking her out now for a stroll offlead :). Everyones at work so I'm hoping for an empty park :lol:

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Chuckle, well I've seen John post about his own phrase many times, and it's per day, definitely.

Pika, learning how to interact with your dog and start training/working together is great fun, no matter what you choose to do. Something like agility would be a good starter, you can't actually do jumps until they're 18 months of age, but you learn all the basics without actually putting them over jumps first. Working trials is great fun, and involves various different aspects, and I think would probably suit that type of breed as well. I'm not sure gundog training would be as suitable, although it's just as much fun, and contains many of the same aspects, just done in a different way.

17. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Thank you :), at present we are doing the kennel club good citizen scheme bronze award, we also do agility but in that class we only do tunnels and very basic things at the moment until she is a little older as you say and able to do jumps and such.

Working trials look like great fun, I just had a read. I wonder if I could find somewhere near me to do that.

Gun dog training also looks like great fun but I don't think that one's quite for her. Being incredibly lazy when it comes to carrying things in her mouth :lol:.

I reckon for now we'll continue with the agility and training classes. When she gets a little older we'll look into working trials, heel work to music (she grasps tricks and command sequences very well) and flyball (its always been something I've wanted to do with her).

:) Thank you again so much for the suggestions I think I have a new routine all planned out for her now :D

18. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think as long as the dog wants to keep walking, you don't do all your walking on tarmac and kinda go at the dogs pace rather than pulling them along, and isn't totally bushed when they get home, then you're ok.

I was concerned myself when Charlie was a pup, but if you use your common sense you'll be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice