Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 year old shih-tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by NaughtyOtis, Sep 1, 2013.

1. NaughtyOtis

NaughtyOtis PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have had a 5 year old shih-tzu for the last 4 months. He previously belonged to my friend but she fell pregnant so I took him.
    He had always been fed on complete wet dog food, butchers cartons to be precise, but I've been told that these will be no good for his teeth and to switch to dry.
    I've tried him on iams, and then ardens grange complete dry and he ate them for a day or two but then nothing. I've tried mixing it with wet, I've tried adding a bit of tuna and brine, which worked for a bit, but he won't touch it again.
    What are the health reasons for dry food? Is it just for his teeth? And if so could I not just give him dentistix along with wet food?
    Sorry for the essay, he was being looked after by a friend for a few months before I took him and he was fed on rubbish so I really want to try and get him eating some decent food now.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As long as you give him something hard to chew that will exercise his jaws an help to remove tarter and plaque, there is no reason that he cant be fed on a good quality wet food. Some wet foods like some dry foods can be full of rubbish. There are plenty of good quality wet foods, just based on a single source of proper meat and have things like vegetables in. Personally I like the Natures Menu tinned or pouches, and Nature Diet is usually a pretty good all natural food. You can get plenty of natural type chews, like antler easy chews, and other various ones, you can also give him a raw bone a few times a week they are excellent for cleaning teeth.

personally I would avoid the dentistix there is a lot of unhealthy things in them even if they may help keep the teeth clean.

If his teeth are dirty there is things that you can get to help kick start cleaning them too like plaque off and logic gel. If you can get him to accept it you can even clean there teeth with a special dog type tooth paste ad various cleaning implements and brushes.

3. NaughtyOtis

NaughtyOtis PetForums Newbie

Brill thank you. The only thing with the wet food when I switched him to meat was that I found he ate a lot of it and went very stocky! Is it ok to give him wet food of a morning and dry of a night if they're both complete foods?
    I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense, this is all new to me!

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Do you free-fed him (leave food down all the while)? - if so, then switching to controlled meal times, where you only feed him a measured portion, should prevent him from eating too much and gaining weight. It is absolutely fine to feed both wet and dry foods.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If he is fed the correct amount of a good quality wet in all honesty it shouldn't make much difference to his weight. Maybe he was having too much most dogs will over eat if it is there.

As regards to having dry morning and wet or something else at night Ive been doing it for years and haven't had problems so he should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice