Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 year old girl plays alone with 14 GSDs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Redice, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

3. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I didn't look at it like that but I see your point.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

well I wouldn't let my kids have a play with 14 of any dogs...

I know we all like to think we can trust our dogs. But we have to remember that they are dogs.. And dogs cant speak and it only takes a second for events to turn..

I love my dogs to bits.. But I wouldn't trust them 100 %

5. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I love GSD's (and have one) but I wouldn't sit by and video a kid making squeaky noises and waving their arms around with a big group of them...I'd want the child to be learning to appropriately interact with dogs.

Naomi

6. momentofmadness

In fact I think if people had a little bit more sense then we would see a lot less dog attacks on people...

It annoys the hell out of me how people go on about how they can trust there dogs etc..

7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

hardly alone... someone's filming!

probably the safest 5 year old in the world!

8. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

I can't help but feel this is wrong too... those dogs are very powerful and could easily knock her over. Having a little girl crying (or laughing maybe) on the floor might excite one or more of those dogs and she could end up in the middle of a big fight. This is too much for a little girl to be in the middle of even if she had an adult by her side.

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I remember many years ago a very tragic case in the news about a toddler running along the beach with his family and 2 Border Collies - a wonderful family day out at the beach.
    The toddler had been bought up with the Collies, the dogs adored him and even protected him, they'd helped him learn to walk by being big furry walkers :)

The todder was laughing an sqealing as small kids do and the Collies were trotting along after - the little boy fell and started crying in a split second the dogs were on him and killed him :(

There were a fair few theories about what had happened - one was the first dog ran forward to 'check on him' the second dog saw the 1st charge forward and miss read the situation and attacked thus triggering the 1st one to attack as well. :(

Who knows what set those dogs off - but I wouldn't be comfortable with the situation in the video :(

#9 Fleur, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. momentofmadness

exactly and the adult will do what exactly if 14 dogs suddenly kick off.. :nono:

Having been previously bitten by a dog of my own when they were having a fight which I take full responsibility for.. I guess has made me more cautious of such..

11. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I cant see the video as I am working :eek:

But I have to admit I cant stand those 'cute child and dog videos' you find online.

What do people who make these films want? = a medal becase there dog is an exception to the rule:confused:

No happy video on you tube is going to change any member of the publics perception or understanding of recent events in the news re children and dogs.

12. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

It made me uncomfortable also... not because of the breed but the numbers and the fact that she was screeching and waving her arms about.. enough to excite just one dog never mind 14. Yes there is an adult there but he's not actually that close (and less so if he's used zoom), so if anything did happen that distance could be deadly.

One dog gets excitied and the others may follow suit, too risky to have a child in amongst so many dogs I think.

13. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

A 5 year old, one adult, and 14 dogs? :confused: That's hardly safe.

#13 Gemmaa, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

how is the person who films this going to save the child if needed?
    he is waay too far away

15. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

I trust my dogs 100% however I wouldn't let a 5 year old play with 14 dogs (if I had 14) as dogs in large groups can get a bit over excited and may knock over or become mouthy like most excited dogs.

16. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

That makes me incredibly uneasy too. Like others have said, nothing to do with the breed but the sheer number of dogs.

I've seen myself how 1 dog in a group can misbehave and the others will join in/follow so in that situation if one of them were to take exception to the squealing and arm waving and the rest joined in... I don't care how close the person holding the camera is; he/she would have NO chance against that many dogs.

17. blossom21

blossom21 PetForums Senior

Wrong,wrong,wrong in every sense of the word.I have had my 6 year old granddaughter here for 2 days as unwell and my DD works.She can play with Bramble only under my supervision and I never,ever leave them alone together.

18. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Sorry i think it's the height of irresponsibility......and " they've never done it before" situation waiting to happen.

Having witnessed a predatory drift attack that is not a situation i'd want any child in.

19. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I also find it rather unsettling, I love Lucky but I would never 100% trust her around children.
    My brother is 11, he's responsible with Lucky and she loves him but I would never leave them alone.

I certainly wouldn't let her play with my step sisters 2 year old twins, even if I was fully supervising because they are very squealy.

20. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

The fact that she appears to be flinging bits of grass for them could easily lead to her being knocked over or scratched if they jump to catch them. A dog that size could accidently do a fair bit of damage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice