Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 weeks till fence fitted!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leiela, Mar 9, 2017.

1. leiela

leiela PetForums Member

Hi all,

We move house in just over a week, I have 2 Cav's puppy's and at present they are used to having free run of the garden. We are still working on 'Recall' training, they know what the call means but the little so and so's ignore it for anything more exciting.

In the new house the driveway open's up onto the back garden so we won't be able to secure it. I've had some estimates for putting in driveway gates to block it off but the soonest any of the quotes can do it is 5 weeks!!

I've had a quick look at the freestanding fences you can buy but they aren't long enough to fit the gap which is 10ft and tbh my little girl is a jumper and I'm not convinced even a 140cm fence will keep her in the garden. (edit I'm certain it won't)

Any idea's other than keeping my babies lead bound for 5 weeks!

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No chance of parking on the road until then?

3. leiela

leiela PetForums Member

We can park on the road that's not a problem, but they will still get out into the road as there is nothing stopping them.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Bamboo screening or that orange plastic stuff you can buy on a roll......obviously I'd still supervise as they are not exactly secure.

5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

How about buying a roll of chain link or a couple of panels of trellis fencing as a temporary measure. You should be able to buy a height your dogs can't jump over.

Just an idea!

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

could whoever you choose to do your fencing put something temporary up for you. We had to put gates on our holiday home to make it dog proof and they were brilliant and came out really quickly when I said we had dogs to keep in. Then at Christmas part of the fence blew down in a gale and they went straight out to look at it and put something temporary up before we went back there and then fitted in doing it properly before we are back again. The temporary fence probably took very little time to do whereas the proper job took a couple of days.

7. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Blitz has beaten me to it :)
    If your original contractors won't put up something temporary, maybe you can find a handyman locally, for example on Gumtree. A 10ft gap shouldn't be too much of a challenge for a confident DIYer.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When I moved house a few years ago, there was no fence down one side, just the remains of a hedge. I used orange netting until the fencing contractor came and it was OK. Mostly it was held up on stakes that could be pushed into the earth, but across the driveway it was trickier. I put a couple of hooks into the house wall and another 2 on the garage wall, stones across the bottom to stop dogs pushing their way under it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice