Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 week old spaniel pups advice on feeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Neats, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

I have 10 puppies who had to be weaned a little early at 3 weeks due to mum having problems... mainly 10 hungry pups! So vets advice was Hills science food. However after a while we had runny poos’s. I think it’s too harsh for them so I have slowly changed to green acres natural kibble. Have also done 5 week panacur we still have tomato paste consistency poos and I worry.
    They are a large litter and also tend to suck each other’s bits! Which I am guessing spreads bacteria... impossible to manage in such a large litter!
    I have read to give them
    White rice but worried it might be another change - can any one advise?! Many thanks, Anita .

2. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

Also I read to give them a little bowl of dry kibble. They just eat this up so easily so should I still be feeding them soaked kibble?

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally I choose a food and work through the consistency - so yes, at 5 weeks I would still be serving their kibble a little softened - maybe a little warm water 10 minutes before feeding - until they can eat and digest completely dry. Chopping and changing food types, consistencies and routines will upset their tums. At 5 weeks I do give some dry but I tend to scatter a handful as a treat so they have to eat once piece at a time.

What condition are the pups - are they happy, healthy and active and of a good weight or are you concerned about their progress? There are many reasons for runny poo in pups from bacteria to over eating. Unless I think pups are loosing condition I tend not to worry about runny poo - though if you are concerned it is bacterial then has the Vet taken a sample to test?

Feeding 10 pups is hard as it can create a bit of a jungle - can you feed them in two different areas or sittings so you can ensure each pup is eating well but is given time to do so. Personally, I would choose your food and stick with it - slightly softened - and over the next two weeks just lessen the softening. Have they plenty of fresh water to drink? Is mum still in with them - does she feed them at all?

J

Linda Weasel and niamh123 like this.
  4. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

Hi there and thank you so much for your reply!

So puppies are doing brilliant. Bouncy and lively and sleep well too. Mum doesn’t feed them as she had abscess and we had to separate.... she sees them but brief spurts as they still try feed and she has to heal.

I will cut back on the dry kibble and soak again an hour before all feeding- see if that helps. I do have a couple of ‘fatties’ I think I will give the others extra after the main feed and separate them instead of putting extra food down for all.They don’t like to eat by themselves as tried already...
    They drink lots and I am surprised at how often I fill their water and I use boiled water.
    They just have sometimes very wet poo’s! They do lick each other’s bits a lot. I pull them off but difficult to stop - it’s usuall just before they sleep.

Thanks again xx

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

I have found that it's the 'fatties' that tend to eat whatever you put down ..... and runny tums can come from too much food! I would feed in two sets of five and make sure everyone is eating their share!

Sounds like the pups are all coming along well though :)

Once when one of my Labs got a sore area we dressed her in a body suit (so the pups can't get at the teats) so that she could interact and maybe have a play with them and not get troubled by any attempt at drinking.

J

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  6. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

7. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

Thanks J. I think the fatties are just eating everything I put in fro t of them. I have two particularly larger ones but I do see they are a different bone structure. All 10 puppies are very different sizes and shapes as their parents were - I will try splitting them to feed though. I think soaking is making a difference too...I had a couple of firmer stools earlier!
    Pups are in the kitchen but with doors to the outside - they all go outside now to do their business on grass which is great - should I be worried about them chewing grass and mud and bits I get stuff out their mouth constantly and worry or is this just something they will do ? I have even seen very small stones in some of their poos’s...

Thanks so much .

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  8. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

9. Jamesgoeswalkies

I would keep an eye on them obviously - you don't want them eating stones if you can help it as they may not always pass them successfully - however, puppies will taste grass and mud and imo so long as the area is clean of dog/cat/animal poo and with no water puddles (water can carry bacteria) then I wouldn't be too worried. However I wouldn't leave them unsupervised for long. I put up a small play area when i have a litter so I know where they are and can ensure the area is kept clean. Puppies are a permanent worry!

J

10. Neats

Neats PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice