Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 week old Bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Beth Malpass, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Beth Malpass

Beth Malpass PetForums Newbie

So I recently got a Mini Lop Buck from a breeder - told me he was 11 weeks old and has been living outside. He was all on his own as the rest of his litter had already been taken to their new homes.

After 3 days I went to check on him in the morning to find him shivering and covered in diarrhea. Immediately took him to the nearest vets to be seen.

During this examination I was told he was extremely poorly with hypothermia and diarrhea and I could get treatment for him but was told it was likely to be unsuccessful and I would probably loose him.

Went back to see him and he had recovered really well, but the vet told me that from what they could tell he was probably only around 4-5 weeks old and was sold under a false age to get him gone quicker.

Does anyone have any advice on how to care for this little guy properly (diet, environment, etc) as I’ve never had a rabbit this young and I was to give him the best chance possible at a healthy life!

Attached Files:

2. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

He is TINY.
    He really really should still be with his mom and siblings..
    I'd ask your vet for suggestions on how to properly care for her, and check out some bunny forums as there have been people like you with tiny young bunnies :)
    Good luck!

3. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

I'd also keep inside, he'll probably die outdoors with no other bunny friends to keep him warm and him being so young.

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Definitely keep him indoors, did the vets mention mucoid enteritis to you? A bun separated too young is very prone to this and it does cause diarrhea.

What have you been feeding him? Did the "breeder" tell you what he had been eating? He'd be best on a pellet/hay diet for now, you can feed alfalfa hay as this is high in calcium and good for growing bones (shouldn't be fed to adult rabbits however). Look also into probiotic food. Being separated too young and the stress of being moved means his gut bacteria hasn't had time to develop. Talk to your vet about ones suitable for a rabbit this young.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice