Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 month old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by moomintroll12072002, Nov 11, 2012.

1. moomintroll12072002

moomintroll12072002 PetForums Newbie

Last night I was given a five month old kitten who is half Persian. He has not eaten or drunk a thing since yesterday when I got him and not done a toilet or passed urine. He hides all the time but he never hisses or strikes out and he has not made a sound. I have put him in a large open box with a blanket and he seems settled but whenever you go over to him he burrows his little head into the blanket.

Please can somebody give me some advice on what I should do?

Kind regards,

2. hobo

hobo PetForums Junior

Hi sorry that what should be an exciting time has turned into such a worry! He is probably just very unsure of his new surroundings so try not to check him every five mins however hard! I wouldnt be worrying unduly at all reg him not eating (have you given him same as hes used to?) The most important thing is to make sure hes not dehydrated, but if youve just given him a bowl of water it would be very hard to tell if hes just been having little laps when youre not looking so measure the water to nearest ml to make checking easier.Although he prob just needs time to adjust if he starts to show any sign of being dehydrated for example if you pinch the skin on scruff it should go straight back down but if dehydrated will be slow,also if excessivley sleepy or pale,phone your vet they will have emergancy cover on and be happy to advise or just reassure you,also the person you got the kitten from should always be happy to give full history reg worming diet ect.Im sure things will turn round and you can enjoy your new friend. x

3. Obvious

Obvious PetForums Member

Can't comment anything better than above ^^ Just to check him every hour instead of every 5 mins:) Let him settle in. Shadow was the same when I brought him home, try not to worry - however hard.
    Just wanted to say congratulations on your new arrival and we want photo's soon please:D:D

Hope kitten is wellxx

4. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Its hard isn't it?
    We got our ginger Tom Geoffrey at 8 weeks old and he was so outgoing and bouncy it was great!
    Then we got Ruxpin at 16 weeks (BSH) and he hid under the sofa for 24hrs only venturing out to eat briefly and use the litter tray but then all of a sudden he settled and came out. He is a timid cat still with new people but all n all settled in great.
    Give your kitten time, sit in the room with it and read aloud so he gets used to your voice and he will settle in eventually.
    Good luck and post some pictures when you can! :D

5. moomintroll12072002

moomintroll12072002 PetForums Newbie

I would like to say a very big thank you to the kind people that replied to my post. I am very happy to say that Charlie is now roaming round and having lots of cuddles and my daughter is over the moon with her new kitten. I will shortly add some pics for you x

6. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Aww cant wait to see the pics <3

We used to have a persian called charlie :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice