Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

5 month kitten who bites

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Cookiebell, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Cookiebell

Cookiebell PetForums Newbie

Hi all, this is my first post here!

We have Jasper, a 5 month old male, ginger tabby. He's gorgeous and very affectionate but he can be a bit bitey.

He was neutered on Friday and has just started going outside.

He can be a bit of a biter though, not in a playful way, but in quite an aggressive, deliberate way. He particularly likes biting hands and arms, or feet.

I wonder if he'll calm down a bit now that he's been 'done'? Or now that ge's running about outside?

Do you think it might still just be because he's young? :confused:

2. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

Hello,

I'm a total novice, but I have a (hopefully ex)-play-biter under control. The breeders told me he used to play bite, so I did lots of reading to try to prevent him to create a habit out of it. Basically I play rough with him, but only with toys. He really likes chasing and pouncing on some blue feathers attached to a fishing rod. I run the house up and down with it, and tease him lots. He really goes for it. I praise him after he has "the kill", I don't always make it easy ;) I only use my hands to pet him, I don't play fight with my hands/arms. And when I hold him and I'm petting him, if I feel the slightest discomfort on his part, I place him back in his tower or somewhere else, so there isn't a need for him to be rough to me.

As I said, I'm a total novice, so far, it is working fine. Good luck :)

3. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

Oh! What I read was to have quite a squeaky sound like OUCH when he bites you and then stop moving, or go out of the room, stop paying him any attention. Apparently his litter mates/mum would do something similar if he'd play to rough with them.

Haven't tried this. Is the theory .. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice